THE FLEXIBLE BLOGGER?

FlexibleIt’s true. I’m gonna try and be more flexible in 2015.

Yeah… right. Hahahaha!

This entry was posted in About Creating Art, Comic, Webcomic and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to THE FLEXIBLE BLOGGER?

1. Joseph DR says:

Hey, Pam! It’s great to visit you here again! I like your FLEXIBLITY hee hee hee! I think I should follow Jeff’s advice on that too. Sometimes I get too stressed out if I’m running late or behind schedule on a post. I should enjoy creating comics. And you should too!

I really loved your hand coloring, Pamo. But the great thing about digital is you can change or fix a mistake in an instant! You still approach colors in a fun and free-spirited way. A characteristic I truly love to see :O)

Keep up the fantastic strips!

Thanks so much Joseph! I REALLY like what you said about enjoying creating comics. YES! That’s the important thing. Posting, commenting, sharing… all that is fun and important even but FIRST is enjoying the process of creating the art. Art making is work but it should be fulfilling fun work, not a drudgery or commitment that overwhelms. Tell you what… let’s only worry about running late or behind once the paychecks start to come in. Then it will be a different ball game. πŸ˜‰

I too love the hand coloring- thank you for your kind words. It’s important to me to try and keep the digital as much to my style as possible. Fun and free-spirited… I really LIKE those words.

Thank you again Joseph. I look forward to your return in January… but no pressure. You post when you are ready. Your art is detailed and spectacular! It’s not meant to be pushed out like a machine.

2. Pirate Mike says:

A personal assistant just for social media! YES!! Coloring is exactly how I started down the road of working digitally. For me, it turned out to be a really great way of getting less scared of the technology.

3. freebirdsings says:

Someone in every family has to go digital! My daughter always did her homework in front of a TV or at least on the couch with a book near to hand for momentary bouts of fun reading. I still haven’t got her to go for digital books but I keep working on all the family – it seems I am the only one who likes them.

Your comic looks great digitally colored so why not? It’s kind of like playing with paper dolls – you get to pick up a layer, put it down and pick up another to your heart’s delight! Having fun while making the comics is key to keeping on doing them don’t you think?

I absolutely agree! Having fun while making comics is key!! WELL SAID!
      I too love digital books but it did take awhile to convert.
      It makes me less lonely to realize someone else did homework in front of the TV and/or on a couch! Yes!

Thanks Timaree! Always a pleasure seeing you. Happy New Year!

Say whaaaaat???!

Now, your coloring technique is one I thought of using. I did with my church lady last week. I think the important thing is to get the work done and doing it well. Whether by hand or digitally, we have the ability to do that. When I got your card, I thought, ‘Now, this doesn’t look like watercolor.’ A duh moment, which I have occasionally. πŸ™‚

Interestingly enough, I have so many trips already written that I need a quicker way of doing doing, Any ole how…

We’d talk it up about comics if I lived close. It’s really such a solo process. I was looking at attending a comics show that’s happening in February, an hour or so away. We’ll see. I like your digital coloring, by the way. It’s s smooth finish and not a huge transition in the look. I like the handiwork of real paints but it’s really economical and productive using technology.

Well, let me get some work done. Maybe I can pump out a couple this week. Cheers to a creative New Year!

Totsy- I too write far faster than I draw. I write the comics in a journal and sketchbook quickly- it’s so much fun! Then when I get to the drawing, it becomes, for me, more difficult. Your drawing skill is more advanced than mine- you’ve had more practice plus you are a natural talent.
      I have no doubt that you will pump out exactly what you want to! You are working on your rhythm… in time, you’ll be moving faster than most of us.
      I hope you are enjoying your break. Sounds like you are expanding creatively! If you do go to the show, let me hear. I’ve never been. Some day, I will.

5. Mary Paquet says:

Pam, your digital coloring looks great. And I think it is terrific that you are practicing flexibility. Happy Holidays and I look forward to more comics in the future.

6. tame4455 says:

Gumby Pamo.

The digital coloring looks great. Another technological thing I can’t do…

Hope you’re having a great holiday, Pam!

8. Hey Pam, wishing you the best with new creative adventures for 2015. I agree about coloring on the couch…I’d work in bed if I could manage it. I stand at a job 40 hours a week and I just want comfy when I get home. Simple and flexible sound good to me too. Happy New Year.

Well Darlene… I like the way you think!!! “I’d work in bed if I could manage it.” had me laughing so hard! Yes! Me too!
      Happy New Year to you as well. I look forward to more of your colorful and whimsical drawings and characters in 2015.

Wow. I didn’t notice the difference. The transition has been that seamless! I can’t wait to see how your colouring progresses in the coming year, Pam. Digital colouring does really open up possibilities for experimentation, although I will agree with Jeff that analogue has its charms too. Unfortunately, I never managed to master colouring by hand, so even though everything else is done that way, my colouring has to be digital or I won’t cope with the workload. It’s really all about working in the medium that you’re comfortable with. πŸ™‚

Your process Tony has infinitely inspired me. I love your colors! I really am excited about the new opportunities with digital.
      By the way… if you ever wanted to color the old fashioned way, I’ve no doubt you would be excellent at it. But- you are so accomplished at digital coloring I think you don’t need to bother.
      I’m looking forward to our continued friendship in 2015!
      Next year I’ll send your Christmas card in October…. apparently the other side of the world is really a far stretch for the post office. Ha! πŸ™‚

10. Sandhya says:

Pam,
    Your digitally colored comics look fabulous! I admire the flexibility. I have to learn the same.
    Wishing you a very Happy 2015!

Looks good Pam. I’ve never coloured analogually (is that even a word?) but I’ve always drawn & inked by hand.I’ve recently gone from indian ink & nib back to fineline markers again, just quicker & more convenient, less messy. I considered recently buying a drawing tablet but then I have to sit in front of the computer to draw. I like that I can sit on the lounge, outside etc when I’m drawing so decided, at least for the moment, to remain an analogue drawer. Or should that be draw’er so it doesn’t sound like something I put my clothes in?
    Stay flexible Pamo!!!

“Analogually” works for me Tony! I agree about the freedom to draw by hand. It really is a special feeling.
      However, I bet you would excel with a drawing tablet!
      Here’s to flexibility!
      (And so glad I met you this past year. Looking forward to 2015. Yay comics!)

12. markrenney1 says:

Ha! Excellent! The colours look great and I love that Pamo’s hand is coming out of the last panel. Nice touch.

I bet you were a straight A student too! Pooh!

Let me know if you discover the secret to remaining flexible. And I love the new way of coloring. I thought maybe you were using a program but wasn’t sure. Hard to tell these days:)

Mostly A’s but not always! πŸ˜‰

I will definitely share the secret… if I find it.
      By the way- I really LOVE your “Vanishing Man” series! I think it’s very special. Thank you for sharing your process.

14. Those iPads–so many possibilities. It is hard to stop, and if you change clothing color in one block, you have to re-color all. Have fun coloring. Your artistic process is fun to follow.

15. markrenney1 says:

The bride says whenever you post she will be waiting – love the colours – me, still with pens but if ever I make the leap forward maybe I will join you professional peeps! Love you loads Huggables.

16. cool that you are going digital, I will know where to come for PSE advice! Good to see a Pamo’s World post in whatever way you colour it in πŸ™‚

Awesome. I personally have nothing against anyone going digital. I’m a tech freak myself, so I basically can’t wait until robots and computers become our undisputed overlords and we’re reduced to working in energy-harvesting factories to keep their metallic bodies powered. Life is going to be sooooo much easier then!

Happy 2015, may it be a fruitful and otherwise positive year!

Your art/comics are your creations, whether with a paint brush or a computer… frankly I think doing it by hand is way easier than futzing with photoshop… but that’s just me. Until I read that it was digitally colored I did not notice any difference (well Jeff’s pink cheeks I noticed maybe tone that done and give him a 5 o-clock shadow instead). Have fun and we’ll see that in your words and pictures and that’s all that matters.

Digital coloring isn’t faster at least at first for sure.
      I’m glad you didn’t notice a difference- that’s what I was going for.
      Happy New Year! And thanks!

‘tone that down’… where is the edit button?

Digital has a lot of advantages, and layers are probably one of the most significant things. The undo key is pretty fantastic, too. I think we too often get caught up in the process or technique, when in reality it’s the finished product that counts, not how we created it.

21. Gruhn says:

Looks great to me! Digital is so much easier once you find the tools and color palette you like best. I really appreciate what you’re writing because it’s the same thing that everyone goes through. Flexibility is the key until you’re getting the big paycheck from a syndicate and then ………well we’ve all seen the movies about working for a syndicate.

22. perkperkatwork says:

So many things that can be done digitally, especially with color. I like the Sunday morning comic idea. I actually just made that same decision. I like it better.

Yes Jason, I agree. Every artist must come to a decision about the balance between creating and sharing. You are handling it well!
      Thank you for your comments and friendship. I look forward to seeing much more Perk at Work in 2015.

oh a social media PA, what a fab idea, as is your digital colouring.

Happy New Year to you both. Sx