FREAK OUT

Freak Out Schedule

Drawn September 2010

I remember the evening this comic idea came to me like it was yesterday. Jeff was sitting in his recliner and I was having some emotional turmoil. After I calmed down, I said, “Sorry. I had another freak out.”

Jeff looked up at me in his nonchalant way and said, “This would be a lot easier if you gave me a schedule.”

It was such a funny thing to say I just knew I had to make it into a comic. Four years have passed since making this comic and my freak out schedule isn’t quite so full. Age really does come with a side benefit of wisdom. I take better care of myself these days.

I guess I should say usually I take better care of myself. Lately, my business commitments have taken over and if I’m not careful, I’ll be suffering from another freak out. Trust me when I say, no one wants that! Ha!

I’m grateful that we have so much to plan and do with our business but I do miss the time I usually have to draw.

This entry was posted in Comic, Webcomic and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to FREAK OUT

Hard to fit it all in, I know. Rich also asks me for schedule as well. My freak outs are fairly predictable though so you think he MIGHT NOTICE! Whoops! Am I yelling???? LOL:)

Libby- You always make me laugh! I just love your sense of humor.
      I’m kind of freaking out about cutting my blogging schedule back. Almost got up in the middle of the night and changed my post announcement. Sheeeeesh!

2. Deb says:

It tough to get all the comic done you want, find blogging time when life calls us to work.
    I love the comic, reminds me of me and my hubby.

3. karenspillingwords says:

This comic made me laugh – partly because I can totally relate. My freak outs over the past few years have been minimal because I had the luxury of spending lots of time on my writing, AND I had a job that I could do from home. NOW I have a*real* job; I work 50 hours per week, and I never make time to write, so the freak outs are creeping back in. ;(

I’m glad your business is going well!

Thank you for always bringing a smile to my week.

xoxoKaren

I’m sure it’s a mixture of emotions for you Karen. You are in a very fulfilling job that matches your culinary talents. I’m positive your students are grateful for your skills and abilities.
      But I hear you about not having time to write- your passion and need to create stilted. The freak outs will creep back in for sure!

Thank you so much for your lovely and understanding comment. I feel a little emotional break down coming on so I’d better stop typing…. πŸ˜‰

Sending hugs!

The odd freak out is good as it clears the blockages but wise to manage your time so that you strike a balance – but what do I know, she who freaks le chic all the time! Brilliant slice by the way darling Pam xx

Wow, you really did freak out. Your hair is a hot mess! As I’m looking at the frames on the wall, looks like your critters came out of those shadows and became a part of the everyday conversations you and Jeff have. Was that intentional?

Well, I reckon we’ll have to settle for Mondays only. I do know about life getting busy and all. You have many a tales to tell when you get back full-time.

No- not intentional but it’s the artist in you that notices stuff like that!
      I don’t like going to Monday’s only but no one wants me to freak out. No one!

Thank you!

6. Joseph DR says:

Hee Hee! Great idea, Jeff! I think I need to give Ally my freak-out schedule, too!

I love the colors and designs in this strip, Pam. Excellent!

7. Casually Employed says:

“One day we are going to look back on this and LAUGH!” is a good way to view life. I used to keep a journal and every time something bad happened, I just thought to myself… “Ooh… This will make a good journal entry…”
    Looks like you have the same view when you put it in your comic here Pam! πŸ˜€

Thanks Bill! The ‘look back and laugh’ is a great perspective. Life is too short to hang on to the bad stuff.
      Comics have been a great release and way to frame those events.
      Loved your latest comic. I’m a sucker for a happy ending. πŸ™‚

8. Robin says:

I can totally relate to the freak out thing, Pam, but like you, as I get older there are fewer episodes. Bringing back your older comics are still new to many of us, and the humor never gets old!

We all have our moments of freak outs. At least you put yours into a funny comic! Jeff’s response was perfect. In fact, maybe we’d all be saner if we just scheduled in our freak outs. Add them to our calendar like all of our other to-do tasks. πŸ™‚

10. I can so relate! It urks me loads when business gets too far in the way of creativity, but of course one has to earn the pennies in order to afford to be creative! I will miss the Thursday comic, but will just look forward twice as much to the Monday one until it’s all back to normal πŸ™‚

11. Linda roth says:

This was a great comic. You’re right, Jeff’s remark was gold. I’m glad business is booming, but I know what you mean when you say you’ll miss drawing. I lived that too. I wanted to tell you, you opened my eyes to the art of cartooning so much so that when I ran into a cartoonist at a huge art competition last week, I had so much to talk about with him. I kept thinkng about you throughout the whole conversation. His work was great–but no greater than yours. You are quite the artist Pam. Don’t put your abilities on the back burner too long.

Linda- Your comment has made my day! I can’t tell you how much your support means to me. You are such a fantastic painter that any words of encouragement from you are gold too. Thank you!
      I agree… the back burner isn’t a great place to stay parked.

A freak out schedule would be most appreciated by a lot of us!

13. Pirate Mike says:

Yeah, build up that posting material! Mondays will be great in the meantime!

Thanks Brad! Hey- I’ve been working with Manga Studio 5. Such fun! You and Bill among others have really influenced me in thinking about my process. Currently, I’m eating my hand draw only words. We’ll see how it goes.

14. Joan Tatley says:

Very funny! I would love to have a schedule of my own freak outs πŸ™‚

15. webdonut says:

So vibrant. Freak out more often!

I’m honoured that I made the cut, Pam. Thanks so much for listing me! And I continue to marvel at how much your style has evolved in just four short years. Your artistic abilities have improved out of sight. ROCK ON! πŸ˜€

My pleasure Tony! I love your work and am so glad to follow you.
      Thanks for the nice complement. I hope my improvement continues. I’ll keep at it!
      I really appreciate your friendship in blogging and in art.

Unscheduled freakouts are the best kind of freakouts. Why would Jeff ruin such a beautifully unpredictable thing?!

Why?! WHY?! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!

OK, all good again. That was fun!

I DO NOT FREAK OUT… I have HISSY FITS… big difference as any Southern woman knows LOL. I have so enjoyed your twice a week comics this Summer, but now it’s time to get back to work, winter is coming and school is back in session. I’m glad your business is doing well, in this tough economy small businesses like yours are really struggling, and lots of them are going under so take care of your business your free loading comic fans understand Momma’s gotta do what Momma’s gotta do.

Hissy fits?! I like that too! LOL!
      Thanks Elaine. I hope to get back to twice a week eventually but business does come first.
      It is a very tough time for small business and I’m not sure it will ever be what it once was. Jeff keeps me very busy with promotions and events and such. We are survivors and fighters- in the true Southern spirit!
      You, Elaine, are wonderful by the way. Thank you!

19. Just wait until you get to be my age…freak outs will get less and less. Isn’t that funny, that we are so prone to freaking out when we are younger. I guess there has to be a good reason for that. I should do a cartoon about no longer getting too freaked out…haha!

It’s a blessing to have less freak outs. And I agree- it’s a very weird and funny phenomenon how we chill with age. πŸ™‚
      I’d love to see your cartoon of no longer getting too freaked out!

20. p.s. love the cartoon

21. Perk says:

Le freak, c’est chic! Thanks for the link on the “Webcomics I Follow” page. Great idea!

Schedules??? Bah Humbug!!! Schedules are for mentally stable organised people. I don’t have time to to calm down & make or follow one either Pam