WORKING WITH DIVAS

9-29-14 Divas

A funny thing happens when I post black and white comics. Not everyone likes it.

By not everyone, I of course mean Jeff. And this last post, there was additional rumbling in the comments section by Tony of Bored in a Record Shop about the lack of color. (Let me add that Tony is a long time comics creator that I really look up to. His work ethic, his style, his adherence to his own particular brand of insanity. He’s one of a kind for sure.)

In fact, Tony’s brazen comment (paraphrased here: …***dam…thought my computer was broken.took awhile to figure out that these toon’s were in B&W….colour please!!! …. : 0) -made me laugh so hard that I ran out and told Jeff.

Jeff said, “See? I told you so!”

Then Jeff suggested I make my next comic about the boys planning a revolt against appearing in black and white comics. It was such a great idea, I dropped my previous plans and got to work.

When I was a kid, I read the comics every day in the newspaper. The Monday through Saturday comics were always in black and white. So I lived for the Sunday funnies when everything was in a larger format and in glorious color! The comics on Sunday came alive. I concede that color is meaningful and makes comics fun.

I personally like black and white comics, especially when they are well done. Robert Crumb comes to mind. In the 1995 documentary titled Crumb, he said that he never consistently worked with color and that is one of the things about his artistic life that he regrets. (I think he could use color anytime he wants because he’s just that talented.)

A few months ago, I ordered The Book of Genesis illustrated by Robert Crumb. The cover is in wonderful color with Crumb’s signature markings. It made my mind tingle with anticipation of what the pages would bring. When I opened the book, the illustrations are all in black and white. Superb black and white no less- Crumb’s work is one to study for style and skill. Still yet, my disappointment was palpable.

So I’m back working with color. I can’t have my cast walking out on me!

This entry was posted in Comic, Webcomic and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to WORKING WITH DIVAS

Black and white or color-all formats have their appeal for me! Gotta keep your crew happy:)

2. Deb says:

Anyway you present you comic it good for me. This one it so funny! xo

AND you love Robert Crumb. I like you more and more with each passing day, Pam. Rock on! In black and white or in colour, I don’t care. ROCK ON! 😀

4. Casually Employed says:

When it comes to anything you do for recreation, it has to be enjoyable. So no matter how you create your comic, it must be something you look forward to doing. 😉

Oh Pam – how do you do it? This is just so good and so funny. It is a fun world, Pamo’s world and glad we have it!

6. jabarucomic says:

Looks great to me B&W or colour Pam. I love B&W when artists go to town with lots of cross hatching and shading. Good to change things up occasionally – keeps it interesting, adds texture 🙂

Thanks Matt! I too love it when artists use all the shading and texture- it’s a process I’m still working on.
      I’ve seen some of your black and white art. In a word… GORGEOUS!

7. Must keep your stars happy. I like both black and white and color. Each has its use. I like this cartoon, Pam. Reality is good.

8. pablo says:

That Crumb Genesis book is very well done. Enjoy.

9. This is an interesting subject to me. When I was a graphic designer I fell in love with black and white. It is a hard and fast rule that all logos, for example, have to be designed in b&w first, before color is applied, to make sure it is strong and that it “works”. I almost always preferred the b&w version to the later color version. However! I also “get” why people almost require color. It is the “life” in everything. I remember reading the b&w comics too…my favorite was an owl in the tree named “Shoe” (I think you and I talked about that once before). No matter what anyone says…Shoe was always best to me in b&w! Love your cartoon….very funny!

I’ve always loved Celeste that you do many of your shape pre-paintings in black and white. It’s a great exercise in shape and form.
      Yes! I remember talking about Shoe! You shared one of your favorites. I loved that comic!
      Thanks for the visit as always. 🙂

I tend to like black and white, from my days of doing black and white photography maybe, but gotta admit your Divas have a point! do whatever you’re inspired to do, just keep doing the comics!

11. Rob Shauf says:

Ah, black-and-white… hehe! Hey Pamo I nominated you for the “one lovely blog” award. Cuase you ahve one lovely blog! 😀 http://charlieandtheghost.com/2014/09/29/the-one-lovely-blog-award/

Well, if I had some snazzy green striped pants, I’d want to be in color, too! 😉

13. Perk says:

Crumb! He’s got some great work. Some of his writing (and images) can get twisted though. Color or not, the comics are still funny, Pam!

14. well our Tone’s a one as he employs B&W to great effect himself with Sedgewick!! I do like your colours though and this is another great slice of life. Made me smile 🙂

15. p.s never heard of Mr Crumb and had to google him, shame his stiff never made it over the pond.

16. stiff??? ooops. Stuff 🙂

Yeah, I like color too but I was thinking you were trying to do the work quicker. As you saw, I tried to go black and white with my last post but I really can’t get away from adding color. I used color pens instead of color pencils but I didn’t care for it all that much.

I like the way you painted everybody in. Nice touch. Divas are so hard to work with on account of the time you have to put into them.

18. Linda roth says:

Crumb is a genius, yes! I love black and white photography, yes! The skill of drawings really show up in black and white, yes! BUT, alas Saturday morning cartoons are in color, so…

19. tame4455 says:

All is well again in PAMO’s World. No revolt…for now.

Color is great, but black and white definitely has its merits, too. Joseph’s (Wacky Monkeys) B&W inked panels are superb. His colored work is, too. So hard to choose!

21. You have now reached the point where the characters tell you what to do. Actually their advice is helpful. They have a presence in our lives that is beyond sketches on paper.

22. …laugh/crying so much about Frag’s “stiff” typo and it’s relationship with some RC’s more risqué work I can’t find the words to express my fondness for your work both in colour & B&W enough…but wow, that pink background in the last frame…wish I had the nuts to do that!!…keep ’em coming Pamo…I’ll keep reading till I go colour blind….

23. Joseph DR says:

I love how you brought the color back in with this strip, Pam! Brilliant!

I also love color and want to bring it back into my comic. Soon it will be a reality!

But I agree with you that there are some comics that are simply genius in black and white. Jeff Smith’s Bone is another comic that I enjoy looking at…

Thanks Joseph! This was a really fun comic to draw and color.
      I look forward to seeing the color in your work. But then I love it anyway you present it!

I’ve got some of Jeff Smith’s work- it is excellent.

Sunday colored comics… I remember those too… I LOVE the next to the last frame where you’re painting the cat and he looks so HAPPY! Keep those Divas happy your fans happy too… unlike the newspaper, color on the internet doesn’t cost more (still takes you longer but it’s so WORTH it).

25. Gruhn says:

Color or black-and-white………… it’s all good!

Just colour is good in toons…. I’m currently watching Space Jam whilst Degas has a snooze. Bugs & co in B&W wouldn’t be the same.

This was a great meta-comic, I like! (What’s with the Borat moment there, Daniel?)

It’s really cool that you and Jeff have a relationship that you can draw on (draw…get it? uh…I’ll move on) for inspiration and that these comics come about in such an unpredictable way. I don’t see anything wrong with B&W comics either. I think the content and the humor matter more than the colors. XKCD is one of my favorite humor places online, and it’s always black n white.

Great point Daniel about XKCD! It’s a wonderful comic. I agree about content and humor being the most important thing. You’ve given me words for thought. Cool! And thanks!