PAMO’S WORLD JOURNAL COMICS

What are journal comics you ask? Actually, Jeff asked but he always has questions. In my view, journal comics are usually based on some real life event. For example:

Journal 1

The above comic was true. (Except for the talking cat but I think you get my meaning.) But this next comic was only partly true.

Journal 2

It’s true that I made a negative comment on Facebook. It wasn’t anything inflammatory or even rude, but I couldn’t get it off my brain. I figured if it bugged me that bad, I might as well delete it. So I did. But that’s not funny. I added the last panel for a laugh and of course it fell in well after the comic about squeezing into skinny shorts.

The next two page comic is based on a statement I really made about only spending one hour per day online. (I think I was still in chocolate withdrawal and not thinking clearly.) The entire rest of the comic was just for pure fun.

Journal 3 A

Journal 3 B

That two page comic turned out to be Jeff’s favorite. He said it was the most Pamo’s World like. I agree with him that it’s the funniest but journal comics aren’t required to be funny. For example, this next journal comic is a commentary about creating comics and is not designed to be funny.

Journal 4

It came to me as I was looking at a simple cartoon instruction on drawing perspective. I am always interested in advancing my drawing skills and try to view each comic as an opportunity to try a different character position, expression, background etc. It’s important for me to try and convey some sense of movement.

My journal comics are made in a 8 inch x 5 inch spiral bound, college ruled notebook. The actual comic drawing area is 4 inches x 6.5 inches. So that’s a small space and forces me to get my ideas down simply.

I draw my initial comic in pencil, then ink, then erase. I then scan and move the image into Photoshop where I finagle with contrast until the ruled lines are no longer visible.

It’s important with journal comics to get the idea down and move on. Ignore the mistakes or even better yet, turn the mistakes into an interesting part of the comic. I try to make each comic clear and entertaining.

Journal comics are fun to draw! How bout you? Draw any journal comics lately?

This entry was posted in Comic, Webcomic and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to PAMO’S WORLD JOURNAL COMICS

I never draw anything. It’s a safer world that way…

So, perhaps there will be a Pamo comic book available on Amazon someday? I sure hope so. πŸ™‚

I don’t know if you remember but I started out drawing lots of little cartoons that were just what you describe above: journal comics. They were just little illustrations of ideas and conversations and people that I had seen. (I am a big fan of Maira Kalman who inspired me to try this out.)

Your comics are so much better of course! And I thought I would say that I enjoyed the above snippets and like them because they are very Pam-O! It’s nice to get a glimpse of what you are thinking and doing:)

3. I like this behind the scenes post because I know nothing about drawing comics. I learned something new again today.
    No, I don’t draw…well, I do draw, sort of. I know how to draw money from the bank even if there is not much in there. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

4. Pirate Mike says:

One of the things that indicates to me that we _are_ in a golden age of comics is the journal comic. It’s a great genre. Ever read Jim’s Journal?

5. Joseph DR says:

Great journal comics post, Pamo! These are certainly funny (especially with everybody shuffling out of the room before a good belly laugh)! Are you going to take any of these all the way to completion? I think you should!

I have a journal where I sketch out my scenes for Wacky Monkeys and some ideas about different things.

Thanks Joseph! I think keeping a journal for ideas is essential. I suppose some folks do it on scraps of paper or napkins or whatever- but it’s great to keep a collection. I’d love to get a glimpse of your journals Joseph someday. Do you ever color or ink your journal collection or do you just do pencils there?

As far as turning my journal comics into a full blown color comic… I can certainly see taking snippets of ideas and expanding.
      I appreciate your input! Have a terrific weekend!

6. Deb says:

Great comic journel, Pamo! I l really like the first one since I gain and loose 5 pounds all the time.
    Have a great day, and weekend too!

7. ooh no can’t draw for toffee! Am amazed that people can draw AND be funny all at the same time, these are fab, I love Jeff & the moggies shuffling out for a good laugh. Didn’t realise you use photoshop in some form for them after you draw them, is the colouring in done there? I use it for my photo’s of course but thought comics were all drawings/paintings then scanned direct from paper to PC.

Hi Frag! Your photos amaze me so there….
      I only use Photoshop to get the notebook lines out of the comic. I use to leave them in when I posted my journal comics but I think it was distracting for some people.
      Many, MANY comics creators create with the computer and software such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Manga Studio, MS Paint etc. Some use it only for the color, others use it for the secondary drawing and color and others use it for the entire process never even using paper!
      My color comics are made completely on paper and then scanned. I am no good at using the computer to color- it’s a real art to it. Plus, I just prefer the hand drawn method. (Besides any time I talk about using computer software, Jeff has a fit.)
      But- computer comics are becoming far more prevalent. Folks proficient in it’s use can produce faster and tweak faster than a hand made comic. Plus lettering is easier with the computer. Note that I used the word “proficient”. Making comics with software is an art in and of itself with many, many degrees of user ability. It would be incorrect to assume that computer assisted comics are easier.
      Having said that, I think my hand drawn comic makes my art stand out. It looks less and less like many comics out there today. For some people- that will be a drawback. They will find my style amateurish and unsophisticated. But for other people- it will be like a handmade quilt. It just looks different than one machine made. Our Tony of Too Bored http://boredinarecordshop.wordpress.com/ also draws and colors exclusively by hand. It’s obvious that his level of skill is far higher than mine.
      One of the things I truly love about comics is that an artist such as myself can make them and not be a master artist in drawing. As long as I’m clear and entertaining… the comic works.

8. Casually Employed says:

The closest I get to creating a journal comic is when something funny happens to me and I add it to one of my story lines. However, all names are changed to protect the innocent and or guilty. πŸ˜‰

Nope, haven’t drawn any lately, but I’m working on it. I’ll just admire your efforts in the meantime. I love it when you go into your artistic process a little bit. I like having that peek behind the curtain to see how it all works! πŸ™‚

10. Mary Paquet says:

A wonderful explanation with examples and they are all so Pamo’s World. Love em!

11. perkperkatwork says:

This is my first time here. Fun stuff!

This such a good discipline Pamo and so interesting to have an insight into your way of working. I love the feet on your characters in ‘The Proclamation’ especially but all great! Take good care Chris xx

Thanks Chris! Drawing, like writing or photography or any art, requires constant practice. It’s a plus when that practice is fun. πŸ™‚

• chrisrenney says:

Absolutely – I spend my days practising talking – just ask Mark! I am just beginning to find some relaxation in my hand now when drawing and it is a great feeling. Your example, and Tony’s, are ones I now follow. Lotsa hugs Huggins gal,and watch out for some Pamo t-shirt shots coming soon……….

Haha! That’s what Jeff says I do- practice talking.
          I agree about the relaxation of the hand feeling great. Mine comes and goes.
          Looking forward to the shots! I’ll be by to see your latest very soon. Hugs back!

13. Sandhya says:

Pam,
    I could relate to the ‘weighing scale being broken’ cartoon. That is me too!

Sandhya- Yes! I think many of us do relate to that for sure. I try not to weigh too often for that very reason. πŸ™‚
      Your latest recipe looks FABULOUS as does all the food on your blog.
      Sandhya’s blog is here: http://indfused.wordpress.com/
      Thank you for commenting. I’m following along with your work now too. So glad to find you.

I like this idea of comic journaling. Heck, I’ve got many a stories to tell. Sooo many. The one with the weight gain reminds me of a good one I could do. Not of myself though but I was involved. Crazy, I know but I’d have to journal it.

I like part 2 of the weight gain though. A good conclusion. Now, that Grand Proclamation one makes me think Jeff is turning into a cat with those feet. Is he one of those men with…um…ugly toes? LoL!

I’d love to see your comics in journal form Totsy!
      Jeff actually has nice toes… I just didn’t do them justice in the drawing. LOL!
      You do have sooo many stories to tell. You’d better get to work! πŸ™‚

Wow! hit the Mother-Lode today! So many comics to love! Enjoyed reading more about your process.

16. …goddam…thought my computer was broken….took awhile to figure out that these toon’s were in B&W….colour please!!! …. : 0

Did you see my sorta comic of Beau shaking off water yesterday? That’s as close as I get to a comic… I LOVE your work, and I even have a cousin employed as a comic book artist (he’s really, really good ‘Mark Brooks’… look him up)… I just plug along trying to learn to draw, not being particularly funny, but loving funny people… Ron can always make me laugh as I bet Jeff can make you laugh.. and I’m betting you keep Jeff in stitches πŸ™‚

All my comics are 100% reality based. I don’t go for fantasy-based ones.

Your journal comics are good, though blaming chocolate for your weight gain is a little far-fetched.

Binky- You are ever so practical. It’s one of your really great qualities.
      I’m glad to hear you don’t think chocolate causes weight gain…. that’s a huge relief! πŸ™‚

Hear hear. Good stand-up comedians are also the ones that build on some real events and something we can all relate to.

Of course, stand-up comedy involves a whole lot fewer magic flying carpets. I’ve always said that was the industry’s greatest weakness!

20. Joan Tatley says:

I love the flying carpet, and of course I love Hershey’s kisses πŸ˜€ Great journal, Pam!

21. danscanvas says:

Well I love all of these comics. But especially the Grand Proclamation – what a riot!! πŸ™‚

So you have a notebook of comics you don’t publish? Like a sketchbook? Great idea!!

I’m thinking if I ever do comics, I’ll need to just ink – no fanfare, no pencil even. Idea and speed over fine drawing. Not sure if it’d ever work.

22. Pam Huggins says:

Thanks Dan.
    Of course your speed comics will work! In the words of Nike… JUST DO IT!

OK so the cat never said the bit about the crowbar but I bet he was thinking it.
    Skip desert??? Never!!!
    Only 1 hour online??? Are you nuts???
    A flying carpet would be a great way to save money on fuel.
    Fun comics Pam.