THE ROAD TRIP

9-22-14RoadTripA

9-22-14RoadTripB

Jeff and I have been together over twenty years. In fact, this past weekend we celebrated eighteen years of wedded bliss. Well- mostly bliss.

In the past two decades, I can count on one hand the times I’ve actually driven the car while Jeff was a passenger. That man prefers to drive and believe me when I say, it’s just easier that way. Because if he is in the passenger seat while I’m driving, he makes me a nervous wreck. He tries to be all cool and stuff but I see his leg braking and his hand clutching the door handle in a death grip. He gets real quiet too as if talking to me will distract me from the complicated task of driving.

We took the above road trip a couple of months ago and after he said, “NO!! I’d like for you to- but I think it’s more important we get home safe.” I immediately pulled out my little notebook and wrote it down. When I checked my notebook last week and read his line, I laughed myself silly. And that my friends, is how my comics write themselves!

p.s. I also want to say “Thank You” to Bill Murphy, creator of Casually Employed, for the suggestion to put the title of my comic inside my comic. “Thank You” to Peter Marinacci, creator of Wombania, for the suggestion to put a copyright © with my comic as well as the title of the comic in the file name. And a “Thank You” to Joseph D. Rodriquez, creator of Wacky Monkeys, for the trademark ™ suggestion.

Artists are some of the most knowledgeable and helpful people around! I always appreciate your suggestions and recommendations. Thank you!

This entry was posted in Comic, Humor Story, Webcomic and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to THE ROAD TRIP

Funny as the years go by how we turn into versions of our parents! Your comic reminded me of how my dad always made my mom drive. Otherwise, my mom had her foot on the imaginary brake the entire time. And now, I find myself gripping the door handle sometimes when Rich drives just as my mom used to do when my father drove! Thanks for a good chuckle and congratulations on your accomplishment. Twenty years of being married is a feat!

I’ll admit Libby that I use my imaginary brake too! I try not to but it’s very difficult not to be in control. 🙂
      We’ve been married long enough now to forget it’s our anniversary. It was the middle of the day when I said, “Oh yeah- Happy Anniversary!” We had a good one though.

Congrats on 18 years! That’s fabulous. As for the driving, I must admit, I like to be the driver. But mostly because I like to control the music selection. 😉

I really do love your new Gravatar Carrie! (Your previous one was great too- but change is good.)
      When Jeff is driving, I flip the air controls and turn the music. Then he always makes some kind of comment about my control issues. It’s at that point that I give him the one eyebrow up with head bent down look. Then he’ll sweep his hand across the dash and say, “This is MY area.”
      You know- it works for us. 😉

3. This is hilarious and a reminder of how I used to let my other half drive and I was almost okay with it. 😛
    I can’t drive with anyone as a passenger because I usually drive myself here, there and everywhere. Cannot trust or depend on giving up control. I make the driver nervous. Go figure.

4. Casually Employed says:

Hey, I never thought of doing the TM trademark in my comic! 😉
    And yes Pam, never go anywhere without a way to jot down an idea. I’m always pulling out my phone and noting down some crazy idea that made me giggle.

I agree about the notebook Bill. I resist it sometimes but then regret it later when I know I’ve forgotten some gem.
      Plus, when I get stuck for a comic idea, it’s a great resource.
      You use your phone eh? You are definitely new school! 🙂

5. dianabletter says:

One time I was driving with my husband, Jonny, and we got into a big argument about my going too slow/too fast/too something, and I climbed out of the driver’s seat and into the back seat and refused to drive another inch. Ha! And you would look good either on a Vespa or an Indian!

I can relate to that moment Diana of climbing into the back seat as a way of saying “Enough!” I bet it diffused the argument too because it is really sweet and funny. 🙂
      Thanks so much for your visit. I am enjoying your writing and your blog. It’s wonderful!

6. Joseph DR says:

Hahaha! It’s a good thing you didn’t get offended, Pamo! This gave me a good laugh, because I always drive, too. But my wife is the one who usually tenses up her legs, grips the door handle tight and leans sideways a lot. I can tell she doesn’t like my driving. But she drives like a little old lady!

Also, thank you for the mention, Pam! I’m happy to have helped in any way. And Bill’s idea was spot on! :O)

Is that a T-bird in your comic? Just wondering, because on the taillights.

Jeff says the same thing about me… that I drive like a little old lady. Ha! 🙂
      Happy to mention you! I am always thrilled when I get great suggestions like I have from you, Bill, Peter and many others. So thank you so much!

I fashioned the lights after a Dodge Challenger. The rest of the car just kind of morphed into the space as is typical of my drawing style. (I took a realistic drawing class once and never could get above a “C” grade.) I love T-birds though! I wish Ford still made the 2005 model.

7. Deb says:

Too funny, Pamo! This reminds me of when Mitch is tired but still insists on doing the driving.
    I see the cat wanted to too….lol

8. haha all your readers are control freaks whwen it comes to driving, me too, I’m a much more experienced (and have to say, relaxed) driver than Phil, so I do all our long journeys. Great toon as always, love that cat 🙂

Experienced and relaxed are definitely two qualities you want in a driver.
      I “think” I’m a good driver but will admit Jeff is better. Don’t tell him I said that!
      I’ll tell Henry, the cat, he’s in your favor. He will be so happy, as am I.
      Hope you had a great weekend! I’ll be by to see your latest photos soon.

The only contented passengers are those who do not drive. This week’s strip shows us that the art of a successful marriage is to compromise and let the man have his ‘little area’ – we know who really rules eh ladies?
    Excellent as always Pam and your artwork just gets better ‘n’ better!

Gosh…
    If I said that to Michelle I’d be out & walking.

11. tame4455 says:

I understand Jeff completely. I told my wife the same thing…once.

I never mind not driving myself. Relax and enjoy the ride.

Oh and congrats x

The slice of life comics are usually the ones that everyone can relate to.
    Was it fun to visit the Antique Archeology store?

And thanks for the mention!

Pleased to mention you! Thank you for the suggestion.
      It was fun to visit the Antique Archeology store. The store was much smaller than I had envisioned and rather touristy but all in all, a fun experience. It’s kind of cool to see someone convert a reality show into a thriving business. I admire that.

• Binky says:

I would imagine they could do a good business on the tourists and fans of the show alone.

Yes! It sure appeared so. Plus, I think it has really increased the traffic to all the surrounding businesses.
          I just figured out what wine gums are. 🙂 (Actually, I Googled it. Winky and I have a taste palette in common.)

• Binky says:

You poor deprived Americans have a tough time finding wine gums since they’re a British candy. Probably the closest thing you have is Swedish Fish, though they’re not nearly as good. The funny thing is, all Swedish Fish (the authentic brand) for North America are made just a couple of miles from here.

15. Pirate Mike says:

That’s very funny! My wife and I are about a 75/25 split with her driving most of the time. She likes driving. I miss public transportation in Chicago. We bought a house with a bus stop in front of it just so I wouldn’t have to drive. It was great. I’m also a lousy driver. I had somebody complain once about how I was driving a golf cart. True story. So I quit.

Well Brad- sounds like you know yourself! That’s a very good thing.
      Sometimes I wish I could commute via train so I could read or write during that time. Seems like it could be relaxing.

Who drives… WOW… the classic power/control struggle. Up until we got the ‘SMART’ car I ALWAYS drove, and Ron, used his imaginary brake. Now Ron drives, and I grip the door handle and use my brake and even tell him to use his turn signals, people can’t read your mind… and other helpful driving tips. Why do men think they are such GREAT drivers when in reality they are worse than me anyway LOL Great comic, vespa would look good on you for little errands to the store etc.

Elaine- your comments always crack me up! Jeff says he doesn’t have to remember to use the turn signals because he’s married and I always remind him! LOL!
      We rode our scooters today and had a blast. 🙂

17. Mary Paquet says:

Pam, my late husband Gary was just like Jeff. I refused to drive because he was a terrible passenger. I used to wish he would share driving. Now I’ve driven thousands of miles, and I so wish Bob would drive. He gave up driving before knee replacements, and he loves not driving. Good that you accept Jeff’s approach and careful what you wish for….

18. danscanvas says:

no comment.

19. Pam Huggins says:

Oh my… ANOTHER SPAM email. Well, guess I’ll have to start moderating first time comments. Such is life.

Well, since I don’t have a driver’s license, this issue is never an…issue…for us. Also, we don’t have a car, so that’s probably another important factor.

And whoa! Congrats to you and Jeff, that’s quite a journey!

21. karenspillingwords says:

Happy Anniversary! Your toons always brighten my day/week. I’ve been so consumed with my new job that I haven’t had time to comment, but I’m ALWAYS reading.

I totally get the driving thing, because Mo is exactly the same way. She’s the main *driver* in our relationship. In fact, I feel like a have a chauffeur. And every time I do get behind the wheel with her in the car SHE ACTS EXACTLY LIKE JEFF! I can’t wait to come and visit some day – those two are going to get along famously. 😉

I’m so excited for you with your new job Karen. It sounds like you are finally where you need to be- teaching on a college campus! Yay you!

Yes- Mo and Jeff are very similar people. They are just both lucky they have sweethearts like us to put up with them. Hahaha! 😉