THE BIRTH OF “PAMO’S WORLD”

December 2010

December 2010

December 2010

December 2010

One winter day in 2008, Jeff and I stood looking across the parking lot at a business near ours that had recently folded. The sign above the business read Primo’s in large red letters. Jeff turned to me and said, “You need to open up a business there. You wouldn’t have to change the sign.”

“Primo’s? You think I should open a store and call it Primo’s?” I fall for his antics every time.

“Yea- we’ll just change the ‘r-i’ to an ‘a’ and it will be Pamo’s!”

We had a good laugh and my new name, Pamo, was born. So I guess I’m one of those people with a confusing name. Do you call me Pam or Pamo? Well- I like both so all is well.

About six months later, I began blogging as Pamo Art. In the fall of 2009, I posted my first comic. It was, quite frankly, not very good, but really generous folks out in internet land clapped and laughed and encouraged me to continue.

After a year of posting sporadic comics, I decided it was time to give the series an actual name. The idea for the name, once again, came to me by way of Jeff. We were driving in our truck and I said I was struggling to come up with a name for my comic series. In his acerbic way, he said, “You live in your own little world, don’t you?”

I yelled, “That’s it! Pamo’s World… because it’s all about Pamo!”

This entry was posted in Comic, Webcomic and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to THE BIRTH OF “PAMO’S WORLD”

I want to go there! I love these older posts – Jeff had more hair back then…….

2. Casually Employed says:

Pamo’s World is a perfect title. Not only does it give the reader an idea on what the comic is about, but that’s exactly what the comic is about! Mine for example goes on tangents where it’s not about the coworkers. But your comic is all about you, Pamo’s World! πŸ˜€

3. Sandhya says:

Love the title Pamo’s world and the illustrations are superb!

4. I love your exuberance! ❀ ❀ And, of course, Pam's World.

Pamo’s World! Perfecto!

It’s a great name and a great brand, something the experts tell us we should all have. πŸ™‚

Thanks Carrie! I’d like to meet those experts in person some day. πŸ˜‰
      I enjoyed your post this week. I know you have little precious time to write more than just all that fiction you got going on… but really, if you gave up sleep, you could knock out that non fiction book I want you to write. Haha!

So, it’s Pamo’s World that you let other folks star in. Cool. I like it. Totsymae is what my grandmother called me. Now, it’s O Totsy, being a magazine and all. You know, like O (Oprah Magazine), only playing a little more risque while spoofing my observations.

How do you feel about the look of your work compared to then and now? Are you more of a quick-draw now or does it take awhile?

You ask the best questions Totsy! (I really like O Totsy by the way.)

I like the look of my new work TONS better. My comics have always taken forever to draw but as my skills grow, the time is better spent. My color comics take me about ten hours from idea to finish. I also do journal comics that only take about an 1.5 hours per comic. (I’ll share some more of those next week.)
      One of my goals is to do a graphic novel. I suspect that will take even more time. We’ll see!

Thanks as always for your great comment!

8. Pirate Mike says:

Isn’t it fun to look at the origins of the strip?! Gives you a sense of accomplishment, I bet.

9. your drawing since this beginning has really developed, but still has the same feel today. I love that you dress Jeff up for the comics when he’s so not dressed up in your videos ! I mean, his trouser legs are the same colour!!

Phil says that about me too, I am in my own world with my photographs and everything else just fades away. Of course he has his painting and bass playing but thats not the same apparently. πŸ™‚

You always manage to make me laugh Frag! You have a wicked sense of humor and keen observational skills. πŸ™‚

You are passionate about your photography and it shows. Jeff has his motorcycles and gardening but apparently that’s not the same either. Hahahahahaha! Men… we’ve got their number!

• Joseph DR says:

Also, I noticed that Jeff has blond hair in your comic, but in real life it’s grey. Are you saying you like the younger Jeff better? Or does he age like fine wine? Or cheese :OP

10. Deb says:

I love how jovial you are! You comics get better all the time too!

I LOVE visiting Pamo’s world… finding out what’s up with Jeff and the cats… those poor starving cats LOL

Thanks Elaine! I’m so GLAD you are my number one fan! (I elected you as my number one fan so I’ll put the check in the mail tomorrow.)
      Our cats think they’re starving if their bowl is empty for longer than thirty minutes. Oh the horror! πŸ™‚

12. …(cat food IS important too)….

13. Joseph DR says:

Those poor cats! Perhaps you can devise a Rube Goldberg machine that will automatically feed them every ten minutes!

Your comics are such fun to read, Pamo! It definitely is your own world! :O)

I think most artists live in their own little world. Your title is perfect, and reflects what you comic is about. Your little story about it was great.

15. I am so happy I found Pamo’s World. Love those hungry cat expressions.

You already know how much I adore your comic, Pamo. It makes me so glad to see you going from strength to strength in your creative endeavours. And, yes, your drawing skills have definitely improved since you started this journey. I knew they would. Drawing, drawing, and more drawing is the key. And you know what? It’ll improve out of sight the longer you keep doing it. I can guarantee that! πŸ˜‰

Cats pointedly looking at their empty bowls and me staring off into space…a common scene at my house!

I am enjoying this Pamo Review-very fun. Your drawing may have changed a bit but the wit and observations are just as strong as ever.

And the rest was history! Love the sad faces on the cats with their empty bowl.

19. tame4455 says:

Wow! What a coincidence. I read that this is the same process Hemingway used with his cats when he had to come up with a name for a book!

20. The name Pamo’s world is just perfect. It’s catchy too. Dave B (my h) knows of you “peripherally” –one day I was scrolling through Facebook and he pointed and said ……..”Hey, that’s Pamo”! (lol) πŸ™‚

Thanks Celeste! Tell Dave I said HI! It pleases me so much that he knows me as Pamo! Haha! That just made my evening.
      Celeste… you just get prettier and prettier. You must be living right. πŸ™‚

Cats are always helpful for prompting. The name suits perfectly Pamo