MR. TYPE A GOES KROGERING

8-28-14

I’m the primary grocery shopper in our household. It’s just how it’s worked out in the whole division of labor over the years and I’ve come to terms with it. Grocery shopping is a necessary chore that requires, believe it or not, some degree of finesse in order to survive the experience. Those of you who grocery shop regularly get this. Those of you who don’t, listen up.

Grocery shopping is especially difficult for Type A personalities. Type A people don’t understand the lingerers, the fingerers, or the hanger arounders. Type A’s just assume everyone who grocery shops will do so in a linear fashion with focus. Focus is the name of the game and Type A’s want everyone to have it.

As a Type A person myself, I’ve had to adjust to the grocery store experience. I’ve learned to smile at people, I’ve learned to apologize (even when it’s not my fault that the other persons cart is taking up the entire aisle), I’ve learned to be patient and not blow my stack at the mind numbing waits in the check out line. I’ve learned these behaviors over many years because it just makes the entire ordeal easier.

Now then, Jeff is also a Type A personality. Unlike me, he claims to enjoy grocery shopping. I have to assume it’s because he rarely does so. He likes the fantasy of picking out sugary cereals, grabbing chocolate cookies, and stocking up on mint chip ice cream since those items rarely make my list.

When he insisted that he go shopping with me last week, I gave him my best “are you sure” look. He was not deterred.

Inside Kroger, Jeff barreled down the aisle’s with his ‘get it done’, ‘clear the field’, and ‘hurry it up bud’ attitude. He had little old ladies scampering to the side of the aisle and children fell silent as he whizzed by. He was on a roll.

Of course, it all fell apart when we hit the check out line and the lady in front of us had a purse full of coupons. Jeff’s face turned red and I swear I saw steam rising out from the top of his head. His voice got loud and he nearly shouted, “This is #@!!# ridiculous!” Fortunately, I knew it was coming so my “SHHHHHHUSH!” overrode his expletive.

He was a caged lion trapped. His hunt was over, derailed by the less focused. As we left the store I heard him muttering, “There should be rules about coupons. Rules.”

What a rookie!

This entry was posted in Comic, Webcomic and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

56 Responses to MR. TYPE A GOES KROGERING

1. Deb says:

Pam, you put his shopping in a nut shell….rookie.
    Coupons are just part of shopping. I don’t always have some, but sometime do.

Grocery shopping is certainly not for the uninitiated! I do it in my household precisely so we don’t get ice cream, chips, and sausages. And I do the same thing you do: smile, apologize, and resign myself to the slow torture of the whole experience!

Another spot on story:)

3. Pirate Mike says:

Ha! Bag o’ coupons will kill ya every time!

Yes! But for a pirate… I would think other options would prevail, aye matey? Ah, who am I kidding. I can totally see a pirate using coupons. πŸ™‚
      Thanks Brad! I just love seeing you all over internet land.

4. janbintn says:

Oh so right on, Pamo! Exactly why either I go OR he goes! πŸ˜‰

5. j.h. white says:

HA! Spot on Pam… preparatory shopping tutorials for the uninitiated should be mandatory. Good one!

6. Great cartoon! Yep, there should be rules for everything out in public. You tell Mr. A that we can get together and make little Rule Booklets to pass out at the entrance of store doors…haha. Or there should be aisles specifically for the coupon addicted!

You are singing Jeff’s song Darlene! I asked Jeff yesterday what was up with all the rules. And he said he comes up with rules to eliminate questions. My response was “What?” So didn’t really work out. Haha!

7. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ I’m not a Type A personality but I’ve come to the boiling point a few times in Walmart when a shopper spreads out how many flyers to get the lowest price on their groceries because Walmart promises to beat the lowest price. Grrrr..

Love your cartoon. You’ve hit the nail on the head. Even knowing the ropes, we react like amateur shopper. When I’m done, I’m DONE. I want to go HOME. Now. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Well Tess, I’m thinking you might have a bit of Type A residual in there. Ah- just kidding! It helps to know everyone has these feelings of impatience at times.
      I like shopping at Walmart for the prices but I rarely go there because of the check out experience. It does me in almost every time.
      Jeff would explode if he was behind someone who pulled out an entire flyer! Oh my! πŸ™‚

8. Joan Tatley says:

Now I know why my husband behaves like this in the supermarket, he’s Type A!

Bless the po’ boy! Pam, you should do standup! Hysterical strip and prose. The shoppers I love to hate are the ones you stand aside for and they don’t even acknowledge you. Grrrrrrr.

“Unlike me, he claims to enjoy grocery shopping. I have to assume it’s because he rarely does so.”—Ha, yes, I would agree with your assumption!

I don’t like grocery shopping. I did it for years, and in the last couple years my husband’s assumed more of the duty, though I still have to go to the market a fair amount to get dinner supplies. And yes, the fistfuls of coupons. I admire the people who use them, because they’re very savvy to save so much, but at the same time I get a tad impatient like your hubs. But I don’t curse out loud, so that’s good. πŸ˜‰

11. my hubby does the supermarket shopping. He has a list, and method. He parks the trolley at the top of each aisle, dashes down to get what he wants, weaving in and out of others trolleys and then back to his trolley andmoves on, it’s like a military operation. The only time it goes wrong is when I’m there too lol. I dilly dally and go looking for ‘nice’ things πŸ™‚ and then get cross when I can’t find him. It drives him mad. πŸ˜€ great post Pam!

Your hubby has a great system! I like how you derail him though- it’s good to get those precision folks off their game every now and then. πŸ™‚
      Thanks for your visit and wonderful comment as always!

12. Joseph DR says:

steer clear of an extreme couponer!

Exactly! Those extreme couponer’s are on a serious mission. No monkeying around. (GRIN!)
      Thanks for your comment and I’m on your email list for your great comic. πŸ™‚

13. danscanvas says:

Nice to see you and the cat laughing at Jeff for a change! Hah! I will leave shopping to you experts, and type A’s.

There was a couple behind me a while back exactly like you two! I don’t like grocery shopping, but someone has to do it!

One day they should invent the no line line, where scanners read everything in your cart and charge your credit card as you exit the store.

That’s a GREAT idea Binky! In the meantime, I’ll just try to remain calm while shopping.
      You’re right.. someone has to do it.
      Plus- grocery stores have chocolate so….
      Have a great weekend!

I want to go to Binky’s no line, line store… Ron and I shop together, because I am the type A, he scouts for the shortest lines at wall-mart… and tries to entertain, distract me if things are getting annoying…

16. Tom says:

Hmmm. Concerned here. Are those organic apples, Pam? …And there better not be any trans-fats in those chips. …And eat your vegetables.
    Sincerely,
    The Food Police

Oh my! I was afraid the Food Police would catch up with me. The chips are gluten free. Does that count?
      Thanks for the smiles! Your comment really made me laugh Tom. I mean Food Police.

17. Are you sure that you didn’t go shopping with my husband?!

I’m with Jeff. I just came from Kroger, trying to get a ready hot meal for tonight. I was there before the potato wedges were ready. Asked how long it would take and the guy said 5 minutes. After 10, no wedges. I left so disappointed, though I could do without them. And did. I’m the type of shopper who knows what I want and don’t like lingering. I don’t like shopping as it is, so Jeff’s got the right idea. Just had an image of me secretly squirting a water gun at annoying shoppers.

The headline will read: Woman In Grocery Tackled When Water Pistol Mistaken For Gun
      Your tackle photo will become the most shared picture online. And you will be screaming, “I just wanted potato wedges. Is that too much to ask?”
      Have a great weekend! Maybe stay away from the grocery- it will be packed for Labor Day holiday. πŸ™‚

• Linda roth says:

Nice to meet you totsymae1011. Birds of a feather.

19. Linda roth says:

My hat is off to you Pam. I’m with Jeff. As there is a fifteen items or less check-out, so there should be a coupon check-out line. For most of our lives I was the shopper. My style was to conieve when was the best time to go to avoid crowds–Tuesday mornings. Never on weekends–and always with a list written in the order of how the aisles were laid out. Portal to portal grocery shopping took forty five minutes. Now Ellis does the marketing and while he, is an A type in the remodeling business, he get’s a B in marketing. He goes whenever. He takes our list, but doesn’t rewrite it in order of the aisles and he does clip coupons online. He is a far superior shopper than I ever was, attitude wise, and I am thrilled to have not set foot in a market in five or six years. I really hated that chore, but I, as always, love your toons. Look how they bring me out! Your toon art is truly superb–the best.

Thanks Linda! Your comment has made me smile and I simply love that you were so inspired. (Grin!) It seems this grocery shopping experience rings bells for many of us.
      I am completely envious that your hubby does the marketing! He sounds like he handles it far better than most. Plus- it leaves you more time for your glorious art.
      Hope you are having a good holiday weekend.

20. Mari says:

Yep that pretty much sums it all up! I don’t know what type my husband is but he sure has a (big) touch of type A, sometimes its painful to have him with me in the store with me… Its a lot like a quick and mad 200 meter sprint when we go in for something together.
    But I also don’t like grocery shopping (parent of two grown kids, I feel like I live half of my life in the grocery store)…
    But the worst part is the before even entering the store “the parking lot”, its the ordeal of the lot from hell, as it seems as everyone who are traffic challenged, don’t own a licence and are on a mission to screw everyone up on that very lot…. And then by some glorious miracle, all these drivers somehow found their way in to the store but now driving a 6 ton shopping cart with sharp edges. Ugh!
    Love the cartoon, the coupon lady look as mad as her stack of coupons!

Oh yes Mari! The parking lot causes me quite a bit of trepidation as well. I usually park as far back as possible. No matter what though, someone always parks their car next to mine. It’s like they must park next to another car even if empty spaces are all around. What’s up with that??
      Beware the poor driver of the shopping cart!
      I too feel I’ve lived far too much of my life in the grocery store. Sigh.
      Thanks Mari!

21. japhethwg says:

This is why I do the shopping for the family, and my wife rarely comes with. She does not have the patience to explore the thousands of possibilities in search of the best bargain. I enjoy lingering over the wonderful items, while she wants to get in and get out, like the store might ruin her life. I don’t focus at the store, in fact this is one of the places where I can go out of focus and relax a bit and shop.

Ooooh how I can relate to Jeff’s frustration. I hate physical grocery shopping with a passion. The people who hover around the same spot doing some sort of interpretive dance, unable to decide whether to grab the item or dance around some more. People blocking the aisle. People taking a leisurely stroll down the aisle as if they’re simply taking a promenade in a park. AAAAAAAAAAARGH!

PS: We do most shopping online.

You’ve been grocery shopping in my neighborhood, haven’t you?
      Grocery shopping online sounds preferable… but we’ll probably just keep old schooling it. πŸ˜‰
      Promenade in a park…. hahahahaha! You always crack me up!

In the final panel it looks like the little old lady gave Jeff a thumpin’.
    I enjoy grocery shopping. I always get left behind as spend too much time looking, comparing, pondering etc. Michelle’s usually a couple of aisles ahead of me by the time I catch up

I find it fascinating that so many folks actually enjoy grocery shopping! It’s given me a whole new perspective on it… I just assumed no one liked it. Live and learn!
      Very cool. πŸ™‚

• Tony McGurk says:

Before Michelle & I got married I was a grocery shopping fanatic. I’d have my shopping list all worked out & as I went around I’d compare brands & prices & ingredients & value for money etc. I’d often spend 5 or 10 minutes deciding on one item. It usually took me well over an hour just to shop for a fortnight’s worth of groceries just for myself & some food for the dog. It was my highlight of the week

oh I know that feeling so well. Like you I’ve learnt patience over the years but ever so often my TypeAness emerges in a Jeff like outburst πŸ™‚ Spot on Pamo!