A PAMO STYLE FISH TALE

8-25-14

Jeff and I aren’t exactly adventurous eaters. When we arrived at O’Charley’s we decided to try something different. By something different, we thought chicken with rice and broccoli instead of our usual chicken with pasta and broccoli.

We studied the menu. Right next to the Cajun chicken pasta was Santa Fe Tilapia. It looked like grilled chicken topped with peppers and tomatoes. We thought the Tilapia referred to the peppers and tomatoes. Surely that was how folks in Santa Fe ate their chicken. Surely.

We were wrong.

As we stared in horror at our meal, our server stopped by our table to check on our status. Jeff asked, “Is Tilapia fish?”

She shook her head up and down and her jaw dropped open. She leaned her head in toward us and said, “Would you like to order something else?”

That’s when I made the silly declaration, “We ordered it- so we’ll eat it.”

I lied.

Ten minutes later, we motioned for our bill. Our server said, “I hope I’m not rushing you.”

Jeff said, “Oh no. We’re done.” He waved his hand toward me, over the fish and then back toward himself as he said, “Besides, you’ve got stories to tell about the two rubes sitting at table three.”

She lit up like a Christmas bulb, her embarrassment palpable.

Needless to say, Jeff over-tipped.

*BONUS CONTENT* I show you how I made this comic HERE. Yay comics!

This entry was posted in Comic, Humor Story, Webcomic and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to A PAMO STYLE FISH TALE

Oh Lord! Tilapia! Don’t come to CA then! LOL:):):):) Nothing like a little surprise to get your meal going! Sort of like ordering sweetbreads and getting a bit of a shock!

2. Joan Tatley says:

So you poor things left the restaurant hungry? I’d say tilapia sounds suspicious. But it was skilfully disguised with peppers and tomatoes to fool both of you 🙂

Yea- that’s what we thought too! I kept thinking that this had to have happened to someone else but so far, we seem to be the only people on earth who didn’t know Tilapia was fish. 🙂

3. Don says:

I’ll bet the boys waiting at home would never have turned their noses up to that delicious fish. I hope they at least got a ‘kitty’ bag.

I know Don! It seemed the perfect thing to do. But alas, Jeff refused to even allow the fish smell into a to go box. My only hope is that someone in the kitchen had a critter at home to feed it to. The fish who gave their life deserved to be enjoyed.

4. 😀 😀 😀
    What a waste of good money and then you left hungry to boot.

Ha, don’t feel bad. I could easily see the hubs and I doing the same thing!

6. markrenney2 says:

Hilarious and not an unknown experience….

Ha! The classic “ordering something from the menu that sounds like something fancy and finding out it was the thing you explicitly hate eating” routine. Kind of like my sad experience with “Steak Tartare” (I always order my meat at least “Medium,” because I hate the idea of eating raw meat), which was described in excruciating detail on my blog.

I LOVE THIS – THE INCIDENT WITH THE TILAPIA, THE DECISION TO EAT IT, THE DECISION NOT TO EAT IT, JEFF’S COMMENT AND HIS OVERTIPPING – THIS IS A DELIGHT WHICH IS WHY THIS COMMENT IS ALL IN CAPITALS BECAUSE I AM SHOUTING IT TO YOU THERE IN KNOXVILLE, GIRL.

9. I had to google Tilapia as I’d never heard of it, and came across this…
    http://www.eatit2beatit.com/tilapia-worse-bacon/ so all in all I think you wouldn’t be alive at all if you’d ate it 🙂

10. that should have been ‘eaten it.’

I like some fish, but not tilapia. it’s one of the few fish that have managed to survive in the Salton Sea . . . We ordered what we thought was a nice pasta dish in Italy. imagine our shock when something in shells arrived!!!! sandy shells at that which made the pasta
    inedible. I think we’ve all ordered something strange. We had a great dessert and wine!

12. tame4455 says:

Hi Pam.

Is this Thursdays post?

Thanks, Tom

13. danscanvas says:

Tilapia. Tee – lap – ee – a. Sounds exotic, sounds Mediterranean. But fish it is. My mouth was actually watering with your menu. I’m sure I would really like it. But I have my limits.. And it used to be worse. Some 20 years ago I ordered a fish, and they served it with the head on – it’s eyes were staring at me. Excuse me, eye. And it still had it’s bones. I need eyeless, boneless, fish. And years before that, in elementary school, I ordered a fish sandwich where it is nicely breaded and square and doesn’t look at all like a fish I took a bite into it, and there was a scale! Totally grossed me out. I couldn’t eat fish sandwiches for a year! I need eyeless, boneless, scaleless, fish – preferably in geometric shapes.

You have really hit a nerve here.

Great comic – I love the dunno/beats me panel! Great expressions! I’d love to be on the other side of your mirror. lol.

I always love your comments Dan! So thoughtful and funny.
      Yea- a scale would make me ill. As a kid, we ate fresh trout all the time. My dad caught it and my mom cooked it. Always bones and scales and seeing heads and tails cut off… never bothered me. But as an adult, I just can take the smell. Oh well.
      I ate sushi once and was sick for a week.
      Guess I wouldn’t survive in the wilderness. Sigh….

I never liked fish much before, but some mild kinds are nice like cod. The fresher the fish, the less fishy it tastes, and the fishy taste is what turns most people (me included) off of fish. Never had tilapia.

Tilapia sold commercially in the USA (as in you didn’t raise it yourself), comes from China, Tilapia is a bottom feeder that they raise in shallow ditches over there… NO WAY I’d eat it UNLESS I raised it in my own pond that is, in which case it is quite good (and YES you can tell the difference) and (NO I don’t raise them but I know someone who does). And now back to the two RUBES who thought they ordered chicken and got fish… next time send it back 🙂 Great comic.

I would imagine Elaine that in your area- fish is a huge commodity. After your comment, I’m really glad we didn’t eat it. Haha!
      Thank you as always for your wonderful comment and support. Yay Elaine!

16. Mari says:

I just had to show this comic to my husband, we are both pretty adventures, but there is two things we cant agree on “white water rafting and sea food”…
    I love sea food but my husband a different story and you should have see his face when he read your comic, first he did the “I’m getting sick” look (pretty much how your Jeff looks in the last frame and then he said “See, now you know how I feel about fish!”
    So now I have to find pictures of people with the look of holy terror on their faces as they go down a rapid, although still not sure if he would the message… Although I love canoeing, big oceans and lakes, I swim. But I hate fast crazy wild and unpredictable water.
    Funny comic & Better luck with your next restaurant adventures!

If it makes you feel any better Mari, I don’t plan on white water rafting either! We did it once years ago but I can’t imagine a scenario where I’d ever, EVER, do it again.
      Great comment Mari! Thank you so much. Always a pleasure hearing from you.

I dunno how y’all made that mistake either. I feel sorry for you not knowing that. Lordy mercy, I feeling kinda sorry for you and whatnot. You got me stumped for words.

18. Tilapia is one of my favorites. So funny that neither of you knew it was fish…but then you got an excellent comic out of the confusion. Enjoyed seeing how you make your comics too. I appreciate you visiting my blog and leaving comments. Thank you for taking the time to do that.
    Cheers-Darlene

I wouldn’t have known what it was either. However I love fish so I woulda enjoyed it. Love Jeff’s face in the last panel. Looks like something from a Survivor Food Challenge

My wife likes fish but hates the smell of it cooking. We don’t have it often mainly for that reason. I on the other hand could eat fish on a daily basis

21. Deb says:

I’ve had Tilapia….uck!

22. Casually Employed says:

A lot of people think “Tripe” is a fish. (Tripe is not a fish)

Well I just Googled Tripe and it’s officially off the ‘to order’ list. When is offal ever edible??
      On the other hand, I’ve eaten plenty of hot dogs so… never mind.
      Thanks for your comment Bill! Love your comic Casually Employed! I’m a new fan.