AN IMMATURE THOUGHT

8-11-14A

8-11-14B

Yes- another true story. Artists can be so sensitive! Here’s the thing. Jeff’s opinion matters to me. Sometimes, I make it matter too much. Sometimes, I rely on him to the exclusion of my own voice. It’s a form of cowardice that isn’t fair to either of us. I’m working on it.

The other day I was feeling a touch despondent about my comics. Nothing too serious. I think it’s the kind of thing most artists experience from time to time. I said to Jeff, “Is it worth it? Does it mean anything? Should I just give up?”

He said, “DON’T GIVE UP! NEVER GIVE UP!”

Turns out that was the exact thing I needed to hear. After all he is the one that has to put up with me drawing all the time. He is the one that has to hear my ideas and try to “help”. For him to vehemently tell me to never give up instilled in me a much needed confidence.

Today’s comic was the first one in a long time that I didn’t run by Jeff before finishing. I didn’t want him to have a say in it, this one time. Before scanning to post, I showed it to him. He laughed. He didn’t tell me to scrap it nor did he tell me it was my best one yet. He laughed and handed it back and asked, “What comic are you drawing next?”

This entry was posted in Comic, Webcomic and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to AN IMMATURE THOUGHT

Husbands and wives…gotta love ’em! It occurred to me the other day that all sorts of people who put themselves out there must have doubts from time to time and need shoring up by a loved one. When you figure out the answer to the first situation you posed, let me know!

Great comic as always-succinct and funny:)

Thank you so much Libby. I want to find balance for myself. It’s in there somewhere.
      Here’s wishing you a beautiful art filled week!

• Mary Paquet says:

Pam, adorable and made me chuckle. Been there, done that — with my art. The other day was the first time I thought, I should just quit doing art. Talked my way through it.

I’m sure it was a short discussion Mary! Your dedication to art is impressive. I appreciate you sharing your own squiggle of doubt and then moving past it. It’s something we can all relate to for sure!

2. I often think – ‘what am I doing?’ I look around blogs, websites…at the myriad of infinite talent out there and repeat ‘what the heck am I doing?’ Then during those times, when my own self-consoling isn’t up to muster, the giant husband always makes it right – then I get back to drawing…
    Wonderful post – terrific comic art!!!
    AnnMarie πŸ™‚

3. It’s always a balm to get encouragement. Never give up. I like your comics. They are true to life. The last scene has me in stitches. What a contrast but so true. πŸ™‚

Having the support of our loved ones is so important when we’re taking these paths of creativity since the journey is usually paved with insecurity and vulnerability. It’s wonderful when they’re on our side (but will still offer a genuine opinion!).

Jeff rocks. And you can tell him that from me. I love the angle you draw the bikes at in the first panel, and the way you conclude this is awesome too! Yes, you are coming far, Pam. Very very cool! πŸ™‚

6. markrenney2 says:

This is a blessing and made us laugh long and hard! Very much agree with Tony about the artwork and Jeff. You really are so funny but with that edge at times – Mark said to ask you if you have CCTV set up in our house because this is exactly how we are!

And I love the way you capture the childish reaction!

8. fairclothgg says:

Why is that picture on my profile? By my username?
    How do i get a better one that I can choose?

9. fairclothgg says:

Oh! Okay! Now it finally changed to the picture photo that I chose. I got confused. Excuse me.
    I am new to this site so I have to get used to using it. πŸ˜‰

10. lol @ fairclothgg πŸ™‚
    ah the pffft factor! I too have suffered that. Great comic Pam, I still would punch Jeff on the nose πŸ™‚ Now and again Phil doesn’t ‘get’ one of my photos and I react just the same!

Hi Frag. I have the same difficulty at times as GG- she handled it with humor! I laughed too. πŸ˜‰
      Maybe one day I’ll draw Pamo punching out someone… I probably should get it out of my system.
      Men! You think they would have learned by now to just nod and agree. πŸ™‚

11. tame4455 says:

β€œNever give in–never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.” -Winston Churchill.

Although I would hardly consider Jeff to be your “enemy.” Those would be the editors of the various cartoon syndicates. (Big wink)

That is a terrific quote Tom! Thank you so much for that.
      Never yield… wonderful.
      And YOU are one fantastic editor over at Comx Box (http://comxbox.blogspot.com). I am amazed at the depth and talent of the folks you have there. It’s a wonderful site. With you as editor- I’m not surprised.

• fairclothgg says:

When it comes from your desire to create and you have it flowing out of you and you draw it easily and happily… That is a great feeling. Then you are in the zone! Be happy while you ride the fun ferris wheel of creativity! Others opinions do make us happy when they like what we do but us liking it! Is THE BEST!

I read somewhere a few years ago, written by an editor of bestsellers, that artists/writers are insecure when it comes to their work. So, it’s not you. It’s us, as artists, in general. We’re also sensitive, so that part can be used to your advantage. It’s great you have Jeff’s encouragement but you’re gonna have to keep digging at it without his approval. I know he’s the love of your life and all but you’re the comic artist. Then again, never mind me. I have to run what I do by myself and maybe if I had two other eyes to look over what I do, I’d come up with something better. Heck, maybe I’d get the second edition out, for that matter. But we won’t go into that.

Good punchline.

Thank you Totsy Mae for your supportive comment! It really helps.
      You hit the nail on the head about digging at it without his approval. While it is helpful to have another set of eyes on the work- it’s not always the best way to approach things. There are always positives and negatives to every situation.
      What you come up with creatively is phenomenal!
      I hope your back is better.

huge smiles here! you nailed it! hugs!

We are often are own harshest critics. The most important thing is that your work means something to you, but of course we all want the acceptance of others as well. It’s really nice that Jeff supports what you do.

ALL ARTISTS have doubts, “DOn’t quIT” please imagine the DO IT as bold and red, maybe make a sign and put it on your drawing desk to remind you. I for one LOVE your comics and your sense of humor, and that loving fun relationship you and Jeff have that shines through on those comics and in your writing. You are a creative, talented woman… YES it is worth doing… not every comic is ‘funny ha ha’… sometimes they mirror real life, or help you look at life situations with new insight… I’m thinking Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown, and poor Charlie Brown trusting her over, and over and over again.

Elaine- What would I do without such great supporters and friends like you?!!! You ROCK!!!
      Next time I feel like quitting, I’ll read your words and be very grateful. Thank you!
      Oh- and no plans to quit…. just a small wave of anxiety that thankfully passed. Sigh….

16. Joan Tatley says:

I love your comics, Pam, so please don’t give up πŸ™‚

17. markrenney2 says:

This is hilarious Pam. The last panel in the second strip ties it all together brilliantly. Genius, absolute genius.

18. japhethwg says:

I sometimes make sure my wife can read my comics before I post, but this is only because she asked to be included in my hobbies. It does make me feel better when she laughs at them because then I know at least one other person finds it humorous. Great post, keep them coming!

19. Linda roth says:

As much as our mates mean to us, learning to ignore them is necessary PARTICULARLY when they are Philistines. I, too loved your last panel. It’s right-on. It’s priceless.

20. danscanvas says:

This is fun! I love the last frame – self-control, that’s where it’s at.

I can completely relate to your feelings of insecurity. But when I get them, I stand perfectly still, looking into the distance, making pffft faces at myself in my mind – screw that, on to the next one!

21. j.h. white says:

I love your work! …

Read it again. Hahahahahahaha from me!

23. the strong silent type is the best type to have around. Mine very very seldom says anything to me about my work. It was hard to get used to at first, because I thought it meant he found my work lacking or dull. I guess now I am glad that mine says so little. These guys are letting us figure things out (largely) for ourselves. It is how it should be. Let’s “never give up”! πŸ™‚

24. Hi Pam, You do have a good knack for capturing experiences that I can relate to! I tend to “show and tell” to my husband, checking for the OK. I know what you mean, though, its really my own voice and I need to have the final decision. Its that confidence thing that keeps alluding me. So, its fun to read I’m not alone.

I enjoy your drawing and keep going Pam!

I think Peggy, that more of us experience this than I realized. We are not alone! Perhaps it is simply a human response.
      I’ve enjoyed seeing your travels this summer! What an exciting time!

I think you should really just listen to your instincts more.Your comics are naturally funny.

Also, what Jeff said!

The stare in the 2nd last panel is great & you really captured the moment. Jeff’s lucky to have survived the last panel. Love your bikes even though they are only cartoon versions. I currently ride a Kymco 125 motor scooter as my daily commuter $6 for a tank of fuel, 6 litre tank that usually takes about 4-5 litres when I fill it & lasts me a fortnight. I think my previous bike probably would’ve used nearly that much fuel in one day.
    I have been through the “Is it worth it” & “What’s the point” etc many times too. I’ve even completely deleted websites & cancelled my hosting plan a few times only to go back & start over a few weeks later.
    I used to get really hung up on the quality of my comics compared to many other highly talented cartoonists with webcomics. I kept going ‘cos I enjoy cartooning & the interaction with others is great inspiration too. I now feel that it doesn’t need a point, just enjoy it & when I get a bit down about it I’ll just take a break without deleting things. You’re doing great work Pam & from the looks of all the comments you get many people out there enjoy & appreciate what you do. I know I sure enjoy your work.
    3 cheers for Jeff for being a great support!!!. Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray!!!

Thank you so much Tony for your thoughtful and substantive comment! It truly means a lot to me.
      Jeff and I do ride. If you are ever in the states- look us up and we’ll take you to the Great Smokey Mountains. I know you have beautiful areas to ride too. (I’ve never been to Canada but of course have seen the glorious photographs.)
      Your comments about creating help so much. I’ve deleted a few sites myself and have come to a similar conclusion that it’s important to look forward, not back.
      In case you don’t know, your comics are of a superior quality! You always have top notch drawings and funny, well executed ideas. I enjoy your work as well.
      Jeff is a tremendous support- thanks for the hip hip hooray’s. You’ve made me smile!
      Sure am glad we met here in internet land. Keep creating and so will I. πŸ™‚

• Tony McGurk says:

I’m not in Canada Pam, I live in Tasmania that little island underneath Australia. Maybe you’;re thinking of Peter aka Binky they’re all Canadians. Canadian Wombats, who’da ever imagined such a thing? My earlier stuff from 3 or 4 years ago when I couldn’t draw for nuts was pretty woeful but I kept at it ‘cos I just enjoy it so much.. I look back at the old stuff & shudder…

Thanks for the clarification Tony! We actually have a vintage motorcycle we purchased from Tasmania- it still has the registration sticker on it. Small world.
          Binky is Canadian? My goodness! I thought he and all those Wombats were from Australia- obviously I need to pay better attention. Never-the-less… I love both your work and Binky’s crew. It’s all good.
          Your enjoyment for drawing Tony shows because your work is top notch! I always enjoy seeing your creations. Have a great week!

27. Deb says:

Thank yo for the morning laugh, Pam…that comic is funny!

28. “What comic are you drawing next?”

29. I love your work! He’s right-stay with it because you bring joy to our lives. πŸ™‚

Thank you so much Susan. I really enjoy your journaling work and thank you for sharing. You write in a way that allows me to feel okay with being human. I loved the idea of meeting an angel who is but a regular in some shop, who knows the clerk, etc. Beautiful.