A SLOW LEARNER

7-21-14

Jeff and I were watching an old Gunsmoke- a half hour black and white show from season three. Marshall Dillon was breaking up a fight in the bar and Miss Kitty didn’t approve of the way he handled it. She said, “Yer a slow learner Matt.”

Jeff paused the video and said, “That’s your line.”

You see, we had been debating the final line of this comic for days. He wanted Peepers to say, “What an idiot,” which I didn’t like. And I wanted Peepers to say, “Looks like Pamo needs to read Idiots Guide to Sneaky Clowns,” which Jeff didn’t like. Now then, I have the final say but I wholeheartedly agreed that the slow learner line was just right.

In many ways, cartoon Pamo is a slow learner. She’s gullible and trusts too willingly. Even Peepers sees this one coming!

Well, the month of Pamo continues but we are heading down the home stretch. Just three more comics to wrap up this storyline. Just three more comics to see if Pamo is able to keep her positive attitude. Will Peepers step up and help? Will Pamo get to have some chocolate? You’ll have to stay tooned!

This entry was posted in Comic, Webcomic and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to A SLOW LEARNER

This reminded me of the coyote and the road runner. That poor coyote! It’s in our nature to be trustful. Clowns know that which is why they hand you sticks of dynamite from time to time:)

Keep up the positive attitude! And is there any meaning to the observation that Pamo and The Clown are wearing the same outfit?

I grew up with those cartoons!
      Yes on the outfits! Pamo wore this special outfit to celebrate her new positive attitude. She never noticed the clown was wearing the exact same one… although Peepers did and had a grand laugh about it.
      Pamo isn’t yet in touch with her inner clown but she’ll get there.
      Thank you Libby, as always, for your funny and insightful comments! 🙂

2. fatgirlinboxinggloves says:

I think “She’s a slow learner” is the perfect ending line! It made me laugh out loud, even though I hate clowns (almost as much as raisins). 😉

Yay Karen! I’m glad you got it and I respect your distaste for clowns and raisins.
      I love both clowns and raisins but friends can disagree on these things, can’t we?! 🙂
      Thanks dear friend.

3. Robin says:

You think you’re a slow learner? I just realized this was a month of ongoing posts that were part of 1 story line! In my defense, I have not been checking in on blogs regularly but I did just back track. Slow learners, trusting, even being gullible, are all very endearing qualities.

Haha Robin! Don’t worry about not realizing the connection- I suspect you are in the majority.

I’m trying to connect the dots while making stand alone comics. It’s a challenge- but I’ve enjoyed trying.

At the end of next week, I’ll conclude this line and work on something new.
      Thank you for checking in. Love your fabulous art Robin!

Definitely a great ending line. It’s wonderful when things fall into place and we find that little nugget we need. 🙂

5. Joan Tatley says:

The line it perfect. You watched that show just in time 😉

I love it when the right answer or in your case line comes along. And had to laugh that Gunsmoke saved the day! Dad loved that show and would mimic it.

7. love the colours!

Brilliant! I love her and don’t like the nasty clown. By the by, bought Stitches – we have both read it – thank you for suggesting it – a stunning work.

And there you have it in a nutshell. The process of cartooning isn’t always a clear cut one. You often find yourself changing lines here and there on the fly, and that’s a good thing. Sure, you’re always feeling like you’ve got the bull by the tail but it usually results in something that’s great rather than merely good… and this one is great, Pam!

Thank you Tony! You definitely understand the process. Sometimes it’s like opening a door into a room that looks just like the room you just left and so on and so on. (Sound familiar? 🙂 )
      Love the direction of your webcomic- it’s so intriguing!

• Tony Single says:

Ha ha! You’re very kind! The text for this week’s strip was added at the last minute which is why it got posted late. I had a whole other, much longer, piece that had taken me five days to write, but I wasn’t happy with it at all. I’d gone through at least three drafts and it just wasn’t working, and then I found this other piece that I had literally written four years ago (or more?) that clicked beautifully. Don’t you love it when things work out?

10. tame says:

Beware the Trojan chocolate bar.

11. Great message and vibrant color !

12. danscanvas says:

A great comic and great sequence of events. I have a feeling that in the end things are going to get awfully hairy for that evil clown!

Mighty neat to read how you got your last line. It’s perfect! (Don’t tell Jeff – big head and all).

Whoa – just read your comment – I didn’t realize the clown was wearing the same outfit as Pamo. Her inner clown? Deep.

Hi Dan,
      Maybe not so deep. Pamo might just have similar tastes.
      Any inferred deepness is dependent on my state of mind- which oscillates like a industrial fan. So- this evening… not so deep.
      I’ll wait to tell Jeff maybe when he’s sleeping. (grin)

LOVED your latest comic Dan!!! Terrific!

Ahhhh, so the chocolate mountain was awaiting Pamo. Now, what shall she stumble upon next? Why, that walk might land her a face-to-face with Jason or Chuckie. Hmmm….Will Pamo stay positive or get the heck outta dodge….LoL!

Just goes to show why you can’t trust a clown. Told you they were creepy & that’s why.
    And never ever accept their chocolates but I guess it’s too late for that advice now…

I know Tony. I just couldn’t get that clown to act any other way. But hang tight- he does redeem himself on Monday.
      I do agree though that he’s not completely trustworthy. He is after all a clown!
      Haha!
      Thanks for your visit. Dave is still ‘my new’ favorite character! 🙂 I’ll have to check out all the story lines that involve him. Thanks for the heads up.

Jeff was right, and you of course, it’s the perfect line to end with. Great toon!

Thanks Sue! I’m so lucky to have a partner to bounce ideas off of. It makes the comics better. Even if I tend to bang my head against the wall more often. LOL!

Excitement mounts…I’m moving onto the next strip on my catch-up spree. Nothing to see here, folks. Nothing at all.