KINDRED SPIRITS

7-10-14

One piece of advice I can give to anyone embarking on some creative adventure is to stay connected to your internal clown. If you’re one of those people who think clowns are creepy, then you’ll just have to figure out some other funny, quirky character that makes you laugh. Or you could just change your opinion about clowns because clowns are delightful.

Creating anything that matters to you will mess with your mind. You won’t live up to your own expectations or you’ll doubt your ability or you’ll believe (mistakenly) that you are the only one who sees the value in what you are doing. That kind of ego splattering experience happens to everyone but if you create long enough, you recognize it for what it is- resistance and self doubt. You work through it, you move on, you forgive yourself for not being perfect and when you aren’t thinking too hard, you realize what you’ve created is okay. If you’re smart, you won’t labor over the self doubt too long. Perhaps you’ll even realize the value in subscribing to Who Cares Magazine.

Now then, if you are connected to your internal clown, you’ll get through the whole process of self doubt with a bit more laughter and a bit less angst.

You might also be interested in checking out Lynda Barry’s comic called Two Questions (Click HERE).

Next week the month of Pamo continues with more clowning around. Will Pamo be able to maintain her positive outlook? Guess you’ll just have to stay tooned!

This entry was posted in About Creating Art, Comic, Webcomic and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to KINDRED SPIRITS

1. Joan Tatley says:

Well said, Pam! I’m subscribing to Who Cares Magazine. 😉

I like clowns. Maybe from my inner silly you could tell. I look serious and pensive but the inside is so much different.

We share that Totsy. I often look and act very serious. Glad you like clowns too!
      I just found out when drawing this that Jeff, the hubs, doesn’t like clowns. How did I not know that after all these years???

It depends on the clown for me. Some are creepy like that one from that Stephen King miniseries, It, and others are funny like… like… erm… like… Okay, maybe I just find clowns creepy! I’ll think of other things instead. I don’t quite know what… 😛

Loving this strip by the way. I’ve noticed that you’re starting to put awesome little details like the bird on that fountain. It flying away at the end is a nice touch too. I like things like this in comics because it shows that the characters inhabit an actual world where life happens all around them. Too often comics are no more than talking heads with no variation (something that I’ve been guilty of lately). It’s cool to see someone making an effort!

Tony- you are never guilty of just drawing talking heads! NEVER! But thanks for the encouragement. Part of this story line is my working on drawing outside my comfort zone. I appreciate you noticing. Effort being made. 🙂

Absolutely wonderful – bless, bless, b

5. markrenney2 says:

Oh, I mean bless, bless, bless the Pamo. I clicked to post too soon cos my tubby tummy was heaving with laughter and the finger slipped! Done it again Pam and with Tony re the bird – excellent detail.

6. markrenney2 says:

Pooh! Chris posted these comments but under Mark’s name for some reason.

The matching clown outfits… very cool connection there… must admit I didn’t notice the bird on the fountain, I thought the clown threw it into the air, did a double take, looked again… and was whew… not a creepy clown after all LOL. I’m loving these Pamo toons, you are really doing very well. Hope you’re enjoying Skool 🙂

After I drew that bird- I realized it looked like the clown threw it. But I decided just to go with it. Next time, I need to draw it smaller- receding.
      Thank you for your words of encouragement Elaine. Your words really help.
      I’ve been working in my sketchbook and doing more than I would have otherwise. I just wish I had more time to devote to it- but I guess that will always hold true.
      Loved your fast and slow drawing!

Clearly I need to get my Inner Clown on! It never pays to take yourself too seriously:) And think for the link to Lynda Barry. I liked the negative comments personified:)

9. You again hit the right note with this post. Of course, you made it so cute, especially with the matching outfits!

Like the matching outfits, although yours is far nicer!

My inner clown packed her bags and ran away to the circus ;P

I find this “humor” thing wildly unnecessary and a waste of time. How are we to know whether what these “clowns” or “jokes” saying is really true or not. Humor is essentially just lies. Thanks, but no thanks. I shall stick to communicating exclusively dry and factual information, thank you very much.

I think that’s best sir that you stick to the facts. Any brand of sarcastic humor that pokes fun of established norms that we in no way should question is best left to those low life no goods like that guy at Nest Expressed. http://nest-expressed.com
      I trust you are in no way affiliated with that Nest guy cause he’s trouble. Big trouble.
      Facts are where it’s ats. Rap to it dude. Facts is where it’s ats….

Hi Pam & thanks for dropping by my site. I dunno why but I don’;t really trust clowns. There’s just seems something a bit sinister about them to me

Hi again Pam. Regarding your email subscription problems for my site. You arrived at a time when I was pondering change. I have now moved my comics to a new domain & have set up a Feedburner subscription for it as the WordPress jetpack subscription system won’t work for Comic post types. I have tested it out & it’s working if you now wish to subscribe by email. My new site is at http://soarlikeaturkey.com
    Kind regards, Tony