PAMO’S AMERICAN GOTHIC

6-23-14A6-23-14B6-23-14C

If you are a fan of Don Martin’s art, as I am, you may recognize his influence in Pamo’s American Gothic. The plump characters, the warm back ground, the welcoming farm house are all pulled from Mr. Martin’s parody of Grant Wood’s American Gothic. (His version is HERE.)

Of course, Don Martin’s version doesn’t include a motorcycle. If he had, I’m sure he would of had Evil Knievel crashing through the turret.

This entry was posted in Comic, Webcomic and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to PAMO’S AMERICAN GOTHIC

1. Sheri LeVine says:

Ah, a walk down memory lane. I remember gathering around MAD magazine with my little friends in the ’70s. Great way to start the day. Great post!

MAD magazine was classic! I’m sure we were viewing it around the same time back in the day. Thanks Sheri! Glad it brought back good memories. Have a terrific day!

I think the look on Jeff’s face says it all!

Ha! Too funny. I hadn’t heard of Martin but I like his style and how you flipped the two paintings to your own style.

I think the motorcycle is a definite improvement to the classic painting! (As long as there’s a helmet somewhere out of the frame, that is… 😉 )

Another Gold nugget! the expressions are fabulous!

Love your cartoon, and Don Martin, I am internet friends with Rick Tulka, who also was a caricature artist for MAD magazine. http://www.ipernity.com/doc/338997/33492987

MAD Magazine. Ah, the memories! This is my favourite of your strips so far, Pamo. That last panel in particular is a winner!

Oh my Tony! Now I’ll have to figure out what I did right to make you say that. It’s the motorcycle in it, isn’t it? I knew it!
      Thank you. 😉

• Tony Single says:

Ha ha ha! Actually, the motorcycle is good, but it’s the way you’ve drawn the two main characters in that last panel that really works for me. They have so much life and personality just bursting out of them, and your use of colour here is so rich and vibrant! What are you using to colour with, if I may ask?

8. Mary Paquet says:

Great comic!!

9. You’ve comic’d one of my favorite paintings, and comic’d it well. I read my brother’s Mad comics waaay back in the 50s.

10. So funny, Pam! love how you get your way –through drawing! Maybe we should draw everything that we want! Now that is a concept. haha. Thanks for sharing the Don Martin link. I did a floral painting awhile back and it reminded me for all the world of the hair on some of Martin’s characters. (The shape of it). But! I couldn’t remember his name. I wanted to confess to painting a serious oil painting that reminded me of MAD magazine, but I couldn’t. Now I can! Your cartoons just get better and better. Can’t wait for the next one. 🙂

Thanks so much Celeste! I thought of you when I was doing this one because anytime I focus on a painting- you always come to mind.
      Draw everything we want? Now that’s a terrific idea! I suspect I’d draw LOTS of chocolate. Haha!

This version is hella better! Clearly Don Martin missed out on a perfect opportunity to sprinkle motorbikes and cats in there.

12. Seen many parodies American Gothic. Lucy and Desi would be a good one .