I DON’T LIKE SNOW

WCB

WCC

WCD

WCE

WCF

WCHI don’t like snow.

As a kid, I skidded down neighborhood hills in an overturned trash can lid until my fingers turned white from the cold. And then I discovered that running warm water on cold fingers feels like a slew of tiny knives jabbing into tender skin.

I don’t like snow.

As a college student, I went on a week long ski trip to Killington, Vermont where I skittered down steep slopes like a bug on butter. Not only did I get frost burn on my left big toe but I also discovered I have a mortal fear of speeding down mountain sides on two long thin boards.

I don’t like snow.

As an adult, I’ve experienced the snow encased landscape and its white hush of serenity. My mouth says, oh so pretty, but my mind screams, will it never end?

I don’t like snow.

Here in Knoxville, the lower edge of East Tennessee, we get relatively little snow. Folks up north laugh at us southerners and our snow inexperience. We are snow light weights, snow wannabes. We don’t know nuttin’ when it comes to snow.

But this much I do know- I don’t like snow.

This entry was posted in Comic, Humor Story and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to I DON’T LIKE SNOW

I don’t like snow, either. Unfortunately, it’s snowing AGAIN in my neck of the woods right now. Arghhh.

Great drawings!

2. I’m with you 100% girl friend… I don’t like snow either, and I’m not a fan of ice either… come to think of it I HATE being cold. Some people talk about global warming like it is a bad thing… I think it sounds FABULOUS… bring on the warm weather NOW!

3. freebirdsings says:

I am so glad to leave the snow behind and live now, in California. I remember back when I was just 18 and had met my husband. I talked him into driving me up to the snow at the 3000 foot level normally a one hour drive max. It took us 5 hours to get home due to EVERYONE wanting to go see the snow! We almost broke up that night. And now, after living in Minnesota, near Chicago and in Wyoming, I don’t care to ever be in the snow again. Due to snow and ice, I’ve rolled the truck into a ditch too. Nope, I don’t care to ever be in the snow again.

Your cartoon was cute. I especially liked the last part of even the snow off the roof landing on you! I laughed out loud at that one! Whewie, that would be cold and unpleasant!

Timaree- I laughed right out loud when I read about you almost breaking up after the five hour trip. Now that’s real life!
      Yep- you’ve been there, done that when it comes to snow. California sounds wonderful!
      Thanks so much for your great comment.

4. danscanvas says:

Snow? What’s snow?

5. Gail B says:

Rules for snow: 1. Everyone must be home in bed before the snow begins; 2. All snow must melt immediately when landing on roads and pathways; 3. Extra grocery runs are not needed because everyone’s pantry is full; and 4. The temperature must exceed 50 degrees within 6 hours of the snow event.

See, I can enjoy snow.

I will admit that it is fun to watch Gus run and play in 5” of snow, especially considering that his legs are not much longer than 5”!

Susie had difficulty in that last round of snow. She kept looking at me like, what is this?
      I bet Gus just loved it! He’s a doll.
      I really like your rules for snow Gail. It is absolutely the best way to enjoy it!

Another winner!
    90 degrees here yesterday and today, she says smuggly. Winter? snow? Hate to think what summer is going to be like seeing how there isn’t even any snow in the surrounding mountains this year. Drought-land here. XOX

Yeah Gail, I thought about you in California. We’ve been hearing about the drought. Gotta say- it’s better than snow! Haha. Ah well, weather.
      Can I come visit? 🙂

7. Mari says:

Oh how could it possible? You look so cute in your green snow jacket and bonnet (hee hee)

And yo wont believe this, but even I the crazy snow loving Scandinavian have grown tired of the snow, it might have something to with that winter came very early this year… But still find it beautiful, but starting to dream about sandals.

Stay warm!!!!

8. Karen says:

Pam, your cartoons crack me up. Thank you for being a beacon of hope and hilarity in the sometimes bleak and annoying world of blogging : ) xoxoxoxo

9. robin says:

I love the way you shaded the white areas – snow, clouds – I think your drawings (toons) keep getting better. I don’t usually mind snow but this winter in Chicago has been ridiculous! I don’t think southerners as a rule know what to do with snow and don’t have the equipment to deal with it, including the mental training! Think spring.

Thanks Robin- I appreciate your vote of confidence!
      Chicago has just been covered up- we see you guys in the news daily. You are right- we southerners don’t have the mental training! Spring spring spring spring….

10. I don’t like snow, either. I didn’t like it when I lived in MD and I didn’t like it falling in southern VA last week (although I did scoop some up and made snow ice cream). Snow is melted now and we’re happy. One of the reasons I don’t like snow is that I always end up like your cartoon–lying in the cold stuff (I even worry about it sliding off my tin roof and burying me–always sounds like an avalanche). Wonderful drawing here. Stay warm.

Me too Hallie. I usually fall, slip and slide. I just don’t like being unsteady on my feet.
      We are much happier here too when snow is melted.
      Thanks for the nice comment. Good to hear from you!

11. John Mcelveen says:

Boy- my first real NC snow was a doozy huh? 12.5 inches. Man- this FL boy did not know what to do! You are awesome as always Pam!! Love ya! C’mon Spring! Hi to Jeff!

John- we saw you guys getting clobbered with snow! Glad you survived. I’ll be so happy for spring! Thanks.

12. Celeste says:

Well, I grew up in Illinois and I remember vividly as a kid thinking…Good God, Illinois only has 3 months of “non-winter”. That might have been somewhat of an exaggeration, but when the snow is interminable …that’s what it seems like. This is a great cartoon to go with your words. You’ve got one sassy animal there! 🙂

Thanks Celeste. Even as a kid you were over winter. That just proves my thinking that you either like winter or not. I’m in the ‘not’ category!

ha ha haaa I love the similie “like a bug on butter.” I love snow especially an early morning walk on fresh snow and from the warmth of a house looking out 🙂

Sue- I imagine you could find many beautiful things to sketch in the winter from the warmth of your house. Thanks for stopping by!

14. I grew up in a part of Texas where snow was more of a mysterious thing that happened in other parts of the country. Now I’m in Boise and I do get snow. But I like it enough. It doesn’t stick around long here (normally) and we don’t get as much as the east coast; but the best part is the turning into spring, then the dry summer, then the fantastic colorful and brisk fall. I put up with winter to have the other three. But then, summer was about 10 months long and extremely uncomfortable where I came from–HUMIDITY! i LOVE the cartoon. I think even I feel like by the end of winter. Of course….I don’t like being cold…I’m like the stay-puff marshmallow man in winter. I’m somewhere under all those layers…you just have to look hard enough! Once I fell flat on my back like in your cartoon…and I didn’t even feel it. Too many layers. It was difficult to get back up though. 🙂

• PS the worst is when the neighbors kid takes out the trash barefooted and in shorts. Makes me feel ridiculously over-layered. :/

What a great comment Raena! I layer too and then I see these kids wearing next to nothing and looking comfortable. What?! How does that happen? LOL!!!

A 10 month humid summer… Yeah, Texas is hot.
        Sounds like you are loving you new place. Yay!

15. Valerie says:

Oh man. I can’t stand snow. At all. Just make it go away.

Hugs!

Valerie

Damn it. Now I can’t see the pictures for this post! And everyone keeps talking about how great they are. No fair!

Also, I don’t mind the snow itself, but I hate what it brings about…as I already stated in an older post of mine. So I guess I’m with you.

I’d love to see snow again. Just once at least. The last time I did was when I traveled down south to visit my uncle when I was a kid. I remember it not being at all fluffy like Charles Schulz made it out to be in his Peanuts comic strip, and being rather disappointed at that. Still, it did look magical, even if it was just slush!

18. Pam Huggins says:

Snow is great for about a day. The Peanuts strip has influenced a lot of us for sure! Isn’t that cool? You know, like snow. Is cool. Cough. All done now. (Sorry, it’s early.)

19. Pingback: A New Direction (sort of) for Pamo’s World – Pamo's World

Looks like the Spammers have been having a field day with your old site Pam. Oh btw did I mention that I really like your site & came across it quite by accident. The content is just what I needed at the time. I don’t like snow much either.

Hahaha! Nice spammy comment Tony!
      I hadn’t realize those buggers got through. I’ve changed my settings. Darned spammers.
      I’ve never understood who they think they are baiting? Oh well.