CONQUERING THE ABYSS

circa 2010

circa 2010

Ah- the abyss. I remember drawing this cartoon over three years ago and I’m happy to say I’ve conquered the abyss. Well, mostly. The abyss looms but it’s not near as deep.

I’d list out some tips for you but the truth is, you have to conquer your own abyss. We all have one. Some of us handle it better than others. Me? I had to struggle to figure it out and I still work at it daily.

Jeff has encouraged me to post my old work in between the spaces when I’m working on something new. I’ve resisted this idea and today it occurred to me that he’s exactly correct. My drive to only post my most recent ideas is a product of my perfectionist abyss.

As I age I have less time for waffling. I have no time for waddling either. So there it is.

Until next toon.

This entry was posted in Comic and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to CONQUERING THE ABYSS

Hey! There’s always time for waffles! Wait a minute…

Do what you can when you can do it. New comics or not they are still lots of fun to get in my inbox (no pressure intended).

2. I revisit old drawings/paintings all the time and redo/repaint them… sometimes I think the second or third attempt is better, but more often than not my first try is the best. I like this cartoon, and like most of your work, it has a universal appeal (as almost all cartoons should). Everyone has their own abyss and some of us have spouses concerned about their own stomach, and pets that know how to push our buttons (or trip us in the hall).

3. Karen says:

That Jeff is a wise man πŸ™‚ I’m glad you are learning how to conquer your abyss. Keep posting. New or old – I love your stuff. xo

4. Lizzi R says:

Good plan πŸ™‚ That way we get to read more of you πŸ™‚

5. Jane A says:

Great cartoon πŸ™‚

6. Celeste says:

oh, I put archived things up on my blog from time to time too. I think it is good to take those breathers…who is it going to hurt? It is amazing that you get so many things done. Could you consider doing a bio/graphic novel? Honestly….that sounds very cool. You’d have to put in a drawing of the “Mom jeans” ! haha! Not to mention alllllll the dogs and cats. Hope you have a great week! πŸ™‚

7. patgaig says:

Great idea. This will keep us occupied and patient.

Good one! Abyss? me? never . . . well, not as as much I used and when I do fall down into one I seem to get out much faster. Hugs!

9. A perfectionist abyss is better than a plain old abyss; I suspect you move forward after each fall. Your cats are the coolest.

10. danscanvas says:

I waffle still all the time I think. And waddle? I have always waddled and always will. It has something to do with my duck feet.

I love this comic! And I’m sure I saw it before but I didn’t remember, so like half the movies and tv shows I see again I get to enjoy it the second time as much as the first.

11. Linda Roth says:

We can’t shake off the perfectionist within, she comes with the gift. A laugh is always welcome at her expense, for she’s a real pain in the ar$&!

12. Pam Huggins says:

I so appreciate all of your comments! You guys make me smile from the inside out. πŸ™‚

There’s nothing wrong with posting your “old” work for our “new” eyes. Especially when that work is so amusing!

It’s amazing how much your work has changed in just a few short years. Keep this up and you’ll soon not be able to recognise your older stuff as yours any more. I’ve been doing this for all my life, and I still find that my work is changing, even evolving you might say. It’s quite a fun process to look back on, even if it’s grueling to go through at times.

You are quite right Tony! I started drawing late in life and find my style changes constantly.
      Grueling is definitely a great word to describe the process.
      I’ve noticed a bit of a change in Crumble Cult from your start up to your more current stuff. I really love both the older and the newer entries but I see more depth as you go. Of course, that makes sense! Your drawing ability blows me away. I can tell you’ve done it for a long time.