MY WEBCOMIC FANTASY

ADoes this feel a little weird to you? I’m blogging along, hit a few bumps on the road, warble on about writing a book, post a hilariously funny fictional comic, and then just disappear for weeks on end. And then POOF, I’m back. Weird? Eh, maybe a little.

The good news is that this post will explain… hmm… well… not much.

BI did work on the aforementioned memoir for several months. Things happened.

D

CMy attention span wavers. My attention span wavers often. My attention span… what?

EMy indecisiveness bothers me. It is in direct conflict with my black and white thinking and I find it embarrassing. Instead of waiting out the uncomfortableness of not knowing if I wanted to proceed with the memoir, I decided to seriously pursue a webcomic, a fantasy I’ve harbored for over two years.

FJeff and the cats had their doubts.

G

H I thought maybe I should announce my intention to produce a webcomic. You know, as if the announcement would seal the deal. Hahahahahahaha.

IThen I began to wonder if my drive to make a “grand announcement” wasn’t based in some deeper psychological need.

JThe cats discussed the issue further.

KSince I am a terribly stubborn person, I decided the cats were wrong and that I could do a webcomic.

LThey tried their best to keep me from committing to something I most probably couldn’t follow through on. I got a bit despondent and decided to simply check out for awhile.

MI survived. I’m back. I don’t know where I’m headed but it’s all good because I’ve got both Cheetos and mint chip ice cream.

Until next toon.

This entry was posted in About Creating Art, Comic, Humor Story and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to MY WEBCOMIC FANTASY

1. Karen says:

Hahaha! This post cracked me up.

Girl, you may not have time, but you DEFINITELY have talent! And I’m so glad you’re back. Oddly enough, I was just talking about you earlier today.

P.S. Cheetos are one of my favorite “make everything better” foods. Crunch on, but more importantly – WRITE ON!

Karen- You are in my thoughts often. I simply love your writing and your spirit. Thank you for sharing your gift.
      Cheetos- the food of champions. Writing on! Woo Hoo!!!

2. Cheetos if you’ve got them WHO NEEDS an Audience? This batch of comics could have been spread out on a weekly basis for well over a month… I’m too lazy to go back and count them ok? Just saying you obviously had the time to draw all these… next time you have this many to share… dish them out like little individual bags of Cheetos… or NOT! Your fans love you just the way you are.

Thirteen. My comics seem to come in sets of thirteen. You are so right- I could just blog a few at a time. I’m a HUGE FAN of you too Elaine. And thanks for the link to the Sketching class. I’m seriously considering joining. Rock on!

It’s just one long road isn’t it? I actually think that is the secret to life. It’s just a long period of time that will get filled somehow.

Do what you like, honestly. Why wouldn’t you? And I am just the same-indecisive with black and white thinking. You aren’t a Taurus are you?

Libby- Your words always calm me somehow. Thank you! I’m a Cancer. Maybe I was a Taurus in another life. 🙂 Seriously, you inspire me with your work and love of life. Have a wonderful week.

4. Patty Phipps says:

Love the comics, Pamo — keep it up! If you want to, that is. I wouldn’t want to try to influence you or anything. Unless you wanted me to do that … Hmm, maybe we have some characteristics in common.

I agree Patty- if you are OK with that. If not, I’m sure I could be wrong or maybe just need to consider it another way. Hahaha! Thanks for your comment.

5. -Don says:

I know what it’s like… to stew over ideas… to not be sure what the right idea is… to wonder if others will approve… to wonder if I can really pull it off… to wonder if it really matters… to get distracted… to look for distractions… to turn to unhealthy diversions… AND then… to turn back to what I love to do… to do something for me… to allow myself to have some fun… to then see if anyone else likes it… to worry if anyone else will relate… to stew over ideas… to not be sure what the right idea is… (the loop continues). Welcome to the world of an artist. Keep up the great work. And, thank you for the smiles. Hugs, -Don

Don- you really do get it! I can tell you’ve been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Your work is always so solid and directed that any indecision on your part isn’t evident.
      Thanks so much for your comment and ongoing friendship these past five years. It’s meaningful.

once again dear friend, you’ve nailed how I’ve been feeling about doing anything creative! outstanding post, as usual! You’ve got so much talent with writing and drawing that I’m always blown away!!!! (I just posted a quote on my blog. Basically, just do art for the Fierce Pleasure of doing it!!!! and that shows in your work!)

Gail- Fierce pleasure of doing it is a phenomenal sentiment. Your creativity blows me away as well. Thank you.

7. Jean spitzer says:

So well done. These are terrific.

Thank you Jean. I’m trying to be a little freer in my drawing, much like you are with painting. I appreciate the visit.

8. Lizzi R says:

Well when you get past the indecisiveness and self-deprecation (in very well-drawn style, I might add) – your audience awaits 😉

9. Christina says:

It’s not Cheetos OR Mint Chip ice cream! It’s to use the ice cream as dip for the Cheetos!
    If it’s any consolation, the web is so huge….. just do what you want girlfriend. I’m reminded of the old joke “I’m going to be more assertive… if it’s okay with you!?” We alllll feel that way for varying periods of time. Welcome come to the human race Pamo!!!!!
    Just remember you TOTALLY ROCK and saunter your bad self into whatever makes your heart sing!!!
    ~ Christina
    PS ~ I’m practicing my saunter. lol

Christina- Now I get it! Dip the Cheetos in the Mint Chip! Brilliant!!!
      I adore your saunter and I adore you. Thank you!

10. Too funny, Pam. All your blog friends are right on. Do what you want when you want and we’ll be here. Your comics are the best — a great combination of your drawing and writing skills. Waiting for more – when you feellike it.

Thank you so much Mary! You have been yet another long term internet art friend. You continue to inspire me with your painting and love of life.

11. Gotta watch proud proclamations! I suffer from that malady myself. As soon as I make them, I feel pinned in…then I fight it.

Great web-toon. I always find something funny I can relate to, an “I’ve been there” (or am still there) moment.

Go Pam Go!

Peggy- It’s clear to me that YOU COMPLETELY GET IT! Hahahahaha! Thank you dear one- your words mean so much.

Ha, “words on the street”! Great to see you back, hopefully for good. Whether in webcomic form or written word strings form, or Morse Code form!

Also, you definitely don’t have to worry about lacking on the talent front when it comes to webcomics – just keep em coming!

Daniel- Have I told you lately how much I admire you? I do.
      Morse Code… could be fun.
      Thanks for cheering me on… it really helps.

13. patgaig says:

I love your comics. You really need to reign in your excitement and not shoot the whole wad at once. If you want, I can teach you something Very Important. I can teach you “Part 1”, “Part 2”, “Part 3”. And the alternate “1”, “2”, “3”. Since I like you I will throw in “Prologue” and “Epilogue” for free. If you are feeling especially World Weary and Continental there is always “fini”. I’m saving “In The Beginning” for a special occasion – I’ll let you know how it goes.

14. Mari says:

I say, Just go with it! Not only because I really enjoy and get a kick out of your comics, but also because I relate as I have the attention span of a sparrow and ideas shooting out from every direction but again I cant put it all together or should I, I will and I can but oh look seeds… What was I writing about again? Oh yes, Pamo, love your comics so Go with it!!

15. PAMO, I’ve read each of these comics twice and can’t pick a favorite (although the one where you’re distracted by the coin sticks with me). You’re shiny. I agree with Don’s comment–he’s always right.

If we knew where we were headed, would we go?

POOF! I’m so glad you showed up.

16. danscanvas says:

Mint chocolate chip definitely!! It is one of the wonders of the world. Cheetos? Not so much. Okay, I’ll bet that after Karen, I was the second to see these early yesterday morning. I said to myself – out of the blue – I wonder if Pamo’s posted lately, and then bam, you had posted that very morning (I saw on my phone). But I’ve been so busy I couldn’t comment until now. Commenting on my phone is troublesome.

So funny – so brilliant! And you and I think so much alike it is scary. I go back and forth considering fine art to illustration, representational to abstract, children’s books to yes, comics – and for mediums, acrylic to watercolor to ink, and now after Celeste, I’m thinking maybe gouache? And then someday oil.. I so relate, and consider it a sign that I knew just when to check your blog.

I love your comics. They are better than ever, consistently funny. I love the serial aspect of them, the comments in between. The entire post is a work of art. I find them so, the word is, endearing. I feel close to the comic Pamo (as well as the real one) and can relate to the cats too. So so funny. And so so true. The truth shines through.

Honesty – and don’t get a big head – there is no comic strip that I am closer to except perhaps Peanuts, and that is only because of years of head start.

Dan- I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… we are siblings. Perhaps we worked on a comic together in an earlier life? If you ever decide to leave the fine arts behind- you have a place in comics. Thanks Dan- the cats won’t let my head grow any larger but I truly appreciate your kind words and the beautiful spirit in which you leave them here. Thank you.

17. robin says:

Weeks went by, then months, and I wondered if you would be back, and here you are back and as entertaining and light as ever. I love hearing your perspective on your life. Humor is the answer.

oh my. Poor you. Loved the cartoon explanation!

19. Pingback: COLLABORATION, INFLUENCE AND CHANGE | PAMO'S WORLD