MY INNER BOY

CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER VIEW

A couple of weeks ago I took a break from my Pamo’s World strip and created this one about poor grandma being set up for a sinus blast. I chuckled and grinned throughout. I got in touch with my inner boy and LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

I spent my early years reading ‘Nancy’ and ‘Charlie Brown’ but lived my rebellious teenage years with Mad Magazine. It was my brother’s- but when he wasn’t looking, I read it from cover to cover. I will be forever influenced by Don Martin and Sergio Aragones.

I recently went to Barne’s and Noble and purchased my very own Mad Magazine. I hadn’t read it in years but after creating the above cartoon, I thought it was time to relive the experience. I had the very same reaction I always did as a teenager- a mix of feeling naughty and secretive and part of a special club. The BOY’S CLUB!

Until next toon!

This entry was posted in Comic and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to MY INNER BOY

1. Boy, isn’t that the truth—about feeling “naughty” reading Mad magazine! LOL…I loved when they would do a film parody. I also loved spy vs spy. They were geniuses. I love your inner boy cartoon….! VERY funny!

2. Patricia says:

This is so funny. I am crazy about grandma’ nose!
    See- you turned 50 and bought your own Mad Mag. That’s only the tip of the iceberg that is to come. Freeing.

3. lilas says:

so nice to see your blog again

4. Robin says:

I think your comic dezines must be therapeutic on so many levels, and your inner boy thanks you!

5. PAMO says:

Celeste- I was amazed to find that today’s Mad is very similar to the ones several decades ago. It’s more slick- but the art and humor is very similar. They haven’t strayed far from their roots. Thank you for your comment!:-)

Pat- I love Grandma’s nose too! You are right- 50 is freeing. Maybe one of these days I’ll get an iPad and try what you do. I don’t think I’d ever do the amazing things you do though- I love your work.

Valerie- I’m SO GLAD to see you! Slowly I’m reconnecting with the people I have really missed. I’ve rejoined your blog. Thank you for stopping by!

Robin- You are right. Comics for me are very therapeutic. Thank you for your supportive words- they mean a lot to me.

6. Dan Kent says:

I remember feeling exactly the same way reading Mad Magazine. My absolute favorite part of it was “Spy vs. Spy” I was fascinated – comic-wise by the darks and lights in the strip and would try to imitate it on paper. Like a light shining through a tunnel, for example.

Great comic! I’d say you not only found your inner boy but you found one that was naughty and secretive and part of a special club – like you!

Hey, just noticed that Celeste liked Spy vs. Spy too! Hah! Great minds think alike.

7. I think I was reading Mad back in the fifties; first, my brother’s, then my own.

The elderly lady is wearing my hoop earrings–she has style (probably wears the same ones every day). I always love light bulbs in thought bubbles. Nice work.

8. PAMO says:

Thanks Dan! Spy vs spy seems to be very popular. Good art never goes out of style.

Thank you Hallie. A light bulb thought balloon is classic- everyone knows what it means. I imagine Grandma’s name is Eloise and her grandson is Gerald- the perpetual adolescent.

9. CaptElaine says:

I have two brothers, one older, one younger… I’m the misunderstood middle child LOL… Spy V Spy… was a favorite of mine too. Alfred E Neuman… was a favorite because our name was Newman.
    Love you inner boy cartoon… the only time my grand father spanked me as a child was when I snuck up on him while he was sleeping in his hammock and shot him with a water pistol… YIKES.. he did not think it was funny LOL

10. PAMO says:

Ah ha! I definitely see you as the middle child Elaine! Solid and forthright.
    I wonder if once your grandfather got over the shock if he might have smiled a little.

Once my brother and I were in my grandfather’s truck testing out his chewing tobacco. My brother took the emergency brake off and when we left the truck it rolled into the house tearing out a whole corner. My grandfather didn’t say a word- which was worse than a spanking. My only ‘punishment’ was the horrible throwing up from the chewing tobacco. I never sat in his truck again.
    Years later, we laughed about it… briefly. I was never told how much that accident cost- but I’m sure it wasn’t cheap.

11. SPY VS SPY WAS AWESOME–AND THOSE TINY LITTLE CARTOONS ON THE EDGES OF THE PAGES WERE HILARIOUS. a LOT OF PEOPLE MISSED THEM, AND MISSED A GREAT TREASURE!

GREAT JOB- PAMO!